From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Local date||October 22, 1894 |
|Casualties||726 (Death toll)|
The 1894 Shōnai earthquake (Japanese: 庄内地震) is an earthquake occurred on October 22, 1894 at Sakata, Yamagata Prefecture in Japan. It was caused by the movement of the Shonai Plain Eastern Margin Fault Zone (庄内平野東縁断層帯).
According to the official confirmed report, 14,118 houses and buildings were damaged and 2,148 were burned. There were 726 human fatalities and 8,403 people injured in the damaged area. A large-scale fire broke out in Sakata, and around the Shonai plain area, many instances of cracked earth, sinking ground, sand boils, and fountains were observed.
- デジタル大辞泉プラス. "庄内地震とは". コトバンク (in Japanese). Retrieved 2021-04-30.
- "日本付近の主な被害地震年代表". www.zisin.jp. Retrieved 2021-04-30.
- "庄内地震（1894年10月22日） ｜ 災害カレンダー". Yahoo!天気・災害 (in Japanese). Retrieved 2021-04-30.
- "気象庁 | 過去の地震津波災害". www.data.jma.go.jp. Retrieved 2021-05-03.
- 庄内平野東縁断層帯 - 地震調査研究推進本部
- "山形県の地震活動の特徴". www.jishin.go.jp. Headquarters for Earthquake Research Promotion. Retrieved 2021-05-02.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.