From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 1960|
History of France • Timeline • Years
Events from the year 1960 in France.
- 6 January - Manifesto of the 121 is published.
- 22 January - President Charles de Gaulle fires Jacques Massun, commander-in-chief of the French troops in Algeria.
- 24 January - A major insurrection occurs in Algiers against French colonial policy.
- 13 February - France tests its first atomic bomb in the Sahara.
- 23 March - Nikita Khrushchev meets Charles De Gaulle in Paris.
- 12 April - Eric Peugeot, youngest son of the founder of Peugeot, is kidnapped in Paris. Kidnappers release him 15 April in exchange for $300,000 ransom.
- 27 April - Togo gains independence from French-administered UN trusteeship.
- 11 May - The SS France is launched for the Compagnie Générale Transatlantique at the Chantiers de l'Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire by Yvonne de Gaulle.
- 20 June - The Mali Federation between Senegal and Sudanese Republic (now Mali) gains independence from France.
- 5 August - Burkina Faso (Upper Volta) declares independence from France.
- 17 August - Gabon gains independence from France.
- 28 November - Mauritania becomes independent of France.
- 5 December - Pierre Lagaillarde, who led 1958 and 1960 insurrections in Algeria, fails to appear in a Paris court. He has reportedly fled with 4 fellow defendants to Spain en route to Algeria.
- 9 December - President Charles de Gaulle's visit to Algeria is marked by bloody riots by European and Muslim mobs in Algeria's largest cities, killing 127 people.
- 14 December - The OECD is formed in Paris.
- 27 December - France sets off its third nuclear test blast at its atomic proving grounds at Reggane, Algeria.
- Carrefour open their first retail store, in Annecy.
- 23 January - Patrick de Gayardon, skydiver, skysurfer and a BASE jumper (died 1998)
- 18 March - Jean-Pierre Bade, soccer player
- 18 May - Yannick Noah, former tennis player, musician
- 15 June - Patrick Edlinger, rock climber (died 2012)
- 12 July - Corynne Charby, actress, singer and model
- 24 July - Catherine Destivelle, rock climber and mountaineer
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.