From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The following is a list of events relating to television in Ireland from 1980.
- 6 January – The rural drama serial Bracken is aired. Cast members included Gabriel Byrne and Dana Wynter.
- 19 April – Ireland wins the 25th Eurovision Song Contest with What's Another Year? performed by Johnny Logan.
- 16 March – RTÉ broadcasts the historical drama series Strumpet City, based on the novel by James Plunkett is aired.
- 27 May – RTÉ Television broadcast an interview with a member of the Irish Republican Socialist Party (IRSP), an organisation not covered by Section 31.
- 9 July – RTÉ News reporter Charlie Bird makes his on camera debut.
- 4 October – Anything Goes, a show for young people, makes its debut. The programme is part of RTÉ's development of young people's programming.
- RTÉ News: Nine O'Clock (1961–present)
- RTÉ News: Six One (1962–present)
- The Late Late Show (1962–present)
- Quicksilver (1965–1981)
- Wanderly Wagon (1967–1982)
- 19 March – Hall's Pictorial Weekly (1971–1980)
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.