From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|See also:||Other events of 2002|
History of Russia • Timeline • Years
Events from the year 2002 in Russia.
- 21 January - Commercial television station TV6 closed down by the Russian government.
- 8 February–24 February - Russia competes at the Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, United States, and wins 5 gold, 4 silver and 4 bronze medals.
- 12 May - An accident at the Baikonur Cosmodrome kills eight people and destroys a Buran spacecraft.
- 1 July - Bashkirian Airlines Flight 2937 from Moscow to Barcelona in Spain collides with DHL Flight 611 over Überlingen, Germany with 71 fatalities, mostly Russians.
- 25 September - Vitim event: a large meteorite crashes in the Vitim River basin in Siberia.
- 23 October - Moscow theater hostage crisis: 40 Chechen separatists seize a theatre in Moscow taking 850 hostages.
- 26 October - Moscow theater hostage crisis: Russian special forces storm the theatre killing the Chechens and over 100 hostages.
- 16 April - Dayana Kirillova, singer
- Williams, Hywel (2005). Cassell's Chronology of World History. Weidenfeld & Nicolson. pp. 652–653. ISBN 0-304-35730-8.
- Whitehouse, David (13 May 2002). "Russia's space dreams abandoned". bbc.co.uk. BBC. Retrieved 15 April 2008.
- "Investigation Report AX001-1-2/02 MAY 2004" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 23 January 2007. Retrieved 2008-04-15.
- ""Cash plea for space impact study", BBC News". 8 October 2002. Retrieved 15 April 2008.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.