From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Church of the Ascension, Annahilt
|Irish grid reference|
|• Belfast||14 mi (23 km)|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Dialling code||028, +44 28|
|EU Parliament||Northern Ireland|
Annahilt / Anahilt (from Irish: Eanach Eilte) is a village and civil parish in north County Down, Northern Ireland. It is 7.5 miles (12 kilometres) south of Lisburn, and about 14 miles south-west of Belfast, on the main road between Ballynahinch and Hillsborough. In the 2001 Census the village had a population of 1,148. Annahilt has a distinctive drumlin setting, with a small wooded estate on a ridge to the west, and panoramic views on the approaches to the village.
Annahilt's has a primary school, shop(a mace, hair dressers and part-time post office), a Scout Hall, an Orange Hall, a residential care home and a park. There is a business park to the north, on the Glebe Road. Annahilt also has a three-star caravan site, known as the 'Lakeside View Caravan Park', on the Magheraconluce Road.
Maps of the early 19th century show little development at Annahilt beyond a schoolhouse and a small number of dwellings near the main crossroads. The settlement grew much in the second half of the 20th century. The primary school was founded in 1801.
A church was founded on the site of the current Annahilt Church of Ireland (Church of the Ascension) in the 8th century by Saint Molibba and called Enaceilte. It was rebuilt in 1422 and again in 1741. Only the ruined tower of the medieval church remains in the graveyard. The present church was built in 1856.
Annahilt is classified as a village by the Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency (NISRA) (i.e. with population between 1,000 and 2,250 people). On Census day (29 April 2001) there were 1148 people living in Annahilt. Of these:
The civil parish contains the following townlands:
- Ballykeel Lougherne
- Placenames Database of Ireland
- "Lakeside View Caravan Park". Archived from the original on 2011-07-07. Retrieved 2010-03-12.
- Anahilt Community Web pages Archived September 28, 2007, at the Wayback Machine
- "Annahilt Church of Ireland". Ros Davies' Co. Down, Northern Ireland Genealogy Research Site. Archived from the original on 31 March 2009. Retrieved 23 February 2009.
- "Area Profile of Annahilt - Based on 2001 Census". NI Neighbourhood Information Service. Retrieved 23 February 2009.
- "Annahilt". IreAtlas Townlands Database. Retrieved 18 May 2015.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.