From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School|
80 Mandrake Street
|Type||Catholic school, high school|
|Motto||Nil sine fide et labore|
|School district||Durham Catholic District School Board|
|Principal||Mr. D. Chambers|
|Language||Canadian English, and Canadian French|
|Colour(s)||Green and Yellow|
|Athletics||Baseball, Soccer and Basketball|
|Uniform colours||Green, Grey, and White|
|Website||Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School|
Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School (abbreviated DO'C) is a Roman Catholic high school located in Ajax, Ontario, Canada, within the Durham Catholic District School Board. It is named for Archbishop Denis T. O'Connor, a priest who was born in Pickering in 1841, and who became the third Archbishop of Toronto, Ontario, Canada in 1899. The school has students in grades 9–12 and offers a wide range of academic and extracurricular activities. The current enrollment is approximately 600 students. The school colours are green and yellow, and its motto is Nil sine fide et labore, which is Latin for "Nothing without faith and work."
In 2014, the school celebrated the 50th anniversary of its opening in 1964.
Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School was founded by Father Leo J. Austin and was officially opened in September, 1964 in Whitby, Ontario. The school was moved to its new home of Ajax in 1984. On November 18, 1984, it was officially opened and blessed by Cardinal Carter. In 1991 a major addition was constructed which increased its capacity to approximately 1,000 students.
The school is home to a wide variety of athletic and academic activities. It has highly talented sports teams, such as their senior boys basketball team and Varsity Boys Baseball Team. The senior boys' soccer team has proved to be one of the most successful teams in the Durham Region, winning five Lake Ontario Secondary School Association (LOSSA) championships in a row.
- St. Jude Catholic Elementary School
- St. James Catholic Elementary School,
- St. Francis de Sales Catholic Elementary School
- St. Bernadette Catholic Elementary School
- Mother Teresa Catholic Elementary School.
- Devin Shore, National Hockey League
- Paul Peschisolido, retired professional soccer player
- Candace Chapman, women's professional soccer player, member of the Canada women's national soccer team and Olympian, Olympic bronze medalist
- Toya Alexis, Canadian R&B vocalist
- Ruby Bhatia, India's first music veejay
- Keith Godding, Wide Receiver, Toronto Argonauts
- Michael Kostka, Ottawa Senators, Toronto Maples Leafs
- "Archbishop Denis O'Connor Catholic High School (703923)". Ministry of Education. Retrieved 18 June 2021.
- Reflections in Time - Catholic Education in Durham Region (1969-1994), Pickering-Ajax Digital Archive Archived February 1, 2014, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 2014-01-21
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.