From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Athletes in Action/Bart Starr Award is given annually to a National Football League (NFL) player who "best exemplifies outstanding character and leadership in the home, on the field, and in the community." Nominees are gathered from the public relations directors of each NFL team, the past winners of the award, the Athletes in Action Pro Staff working with NFL teams, and, before his death, Bart Starr himself. Ballots are sent to each team and voting takes place at the same time as the Pro Bowl selections. The votes are tabulated and the winner is announced at the annual Super Bowl Breakfast, an NFL-sanctioned event hosted by Athletes in Action, the sports ministry of Campus Crusade for Christ. The award, bearing the name of Hall of Fame Green Bay Packers quarterback Bart Starr, honors his lifelong commitment to serving as a positive role model to his family, teammates, and community.
- a Winners are listed by year awarded in given not the season. For example, 2015 winner Peyton Manning was given the award after the 2014 NFL season.
- b Atlanta Falcons safety Eugene Robinson won the award for the 1998 NFL season, but was arrested the very same evening he received the award in Miami, Florida for soliciting a female undercover police officer posing as a prostitute. This occurred on the eve of the Falcons' game against the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXXIII. Robinson agreed to return the award.
- Walter Camp Man of the Year
- Walter Camp Distinguished American Award
- Walter Camp Alumni of the Year
- Amos Alonzo Stagg Award
- National Football Foundation Distinguished American Award
- National Football Foundation Gold Medal Winners
- Theodore Roosevelt Award (NCAA)
- "Whizzer" White NFL Man of the Year Award
- Walter Payton NFL Man of the Year Award (football)
- Allstate AFCA Good Works Team
- NBA Community Assist Award (basketball)
- J. Walter Kennedy Citizenship Award (basketball)
- Laureus Sport for Good Award
- List of National Football League awards
- "Steve Largent – 1989 Award Winner". SuperBowlBreakfast.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-15. Retrieved 2011-09-01.
- "Saints QB Drew Brees to receive Bart Starr Award for leadership in the NFL and community". fox59.com. Retrieved 2011-01-20.[permanent dead link]
- "'Skins London Fletcher nabs Bart Starr Award for character, leadership". GantDaily.com. Archived from the original on 2013-10-11. Retrieved 2012-01-11.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-06. Retrieved 2014-02-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2016-01-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2017-01-06. Retrieved 2017-01-04.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.