From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Falls of Boali
Location in Central African Republic
|Country||Central African Republic|
Boali is located on National Highway 1 (RN1), about 100 km northwest of the national capital, Bangui. The road, one of the country's few paved highways, leads on to Bouar, and ultimately to Cameroon.
The hydroelectric works, Boali I and Boali II, are located below the falls. They have a combined generating power of 18.65 megawatts, and are operated by the state-run Central African Energy (ENERCA). The completion of Boali I in the 1950s spurred several other industrial developments in the town, including the country's first textile mill, which began operating in 1954.
The Boali hydroelectric works supply power to the capital and 13 other towns. This strategic role was used by the Seleka rebels in March 2013, who took over the plant on their way to Bangui and shut off power to the city.
Initial arrangements were made in 2010 for a third hydroelectric plant, Boali 3, to be built with Chinese assistance.
- "World Gazetteer". Archived from the original on 2013-01-11.
- "Les Chutes de Boali". BanguiWeb. Archived from the original on 2013-04-10. Retrieved 2013-03-24.
- O'Toole, Thomas (1986). The Central African Republic The Continent's Hidden Heart. Westview Press. p. 123.
- Auzias, Dominique; Labourdette, Jean-Paul (2010). "Chutes de Boali". République Centrafricaine 2010-11. Petit Futé. p. 110. ISBN 2746926075.
- Kalck, Pierre (2004). Historical Dictionary of the Central African Republic Third Edition. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 0810849135.
- Singh, Daleep (2008). Francophone Africa, 1905-2005 A Century of Economic and Social Change. Allied Publishers. p. 201. ISBN 8184242581.
- "Séléka conquiert enfin la ville de Bangui, les FACA battent en retraite". Radio Ndeke Luka. 2013-03-23. Retrieved 2013-03-24.
- "China and Central Africa". Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China. Retrieved 2013-03-24.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.