From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bornacoola (Irish: Barr na Cúile, meaning "the top of the corner") is an Ecclesiastical parish in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Ardagh and Clonmacnoise, Ireland. It is located at the southern extremity of County Leitrim in the civil parish of Mohill. Some of its townlands lie in neighbouring County Longford. The nearest large towns are Longford (8 miles) and Carrick-on-Shannon (11 miles).
The parish is bounded by the townlands indicated below, most of which coincide with the southern parts of the civil parish of Mohill (which straddles two baronies) with a few townlands in a neighbouring civil parish to the west.
- Civil parish of Mohill
- Acres, Aghamore, Aghnahunshin, Aghnamona, Ballygeeher (not Bellageeher), Cashel, Cloonboniagh North, Cloonboniagh South, Clooncarreen, Cloonclivvy, Clooncolry, Clooneagh, Cloonmorris, Cloontumpher, Cloonturk, Cornagillagh, Corracramph South, Corrascoffy, Derreen, Drumard (Jones), Drumard (Magerraun), Gortanure South, Gorteenoran or Georgia, Gortnalamph, Gubagraffy, Keelagh, Killinaker, Knockadrinan, Liscloonadea, Meelragh (Nagur), Meelragh (Saggart), Moher, Rinnagowna, Rooskynamona, Tulcon.
- Civil parish of Annaduff
- Aughry, Drumod, Drumod Beg, Drumod More.
- In the Barony of Longford, county of Longford
- Civil parish of Mohill
- Ahanagh, Bunanass, Clooncolligan, Cloonart North, Cloonart South, Clooneen (Beirne), Clooneen (Cox), Clooneen (Kennedy), Clooneen (Shanly), Edercloon, Tomisky.
- St. Michael's Church, Bornacoola.
- St. Joseph's Church, Cloonturk.
- Scoil Mhuire National School
- Lady Baltimore's Statue
- It is located beside Johnston's Bridge, Bornacoola. It came from Baltimore, Maryland, USA and is named after a place in Bornacoola parish (Baile an Tigh Mor- the town of the big house). The family left Ireland and settled in Maryland and because of this link the statue to Lady Baltimore was sent back to Ireland in the 1970s and erected some years later.
- This ancient stone is located in the graveyard and is the only example from county Leitrim. Unfortunately, the Ogham stone was inverted when placed on a plinth.
- Early christian church
- Also located within the grounds of the graveyard. Under the protection of the O.P.W..
- Community Centre
- Bornacoola GAA
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.