From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Brand New Day|
|Studio album by|
|Producer||Roy Halee, Bobby Colomby|
|Blood, Sweat & Tears chronology|
Brand New Day is the tenth album by the band Blood, Sweat & Tears, released in November 1977. This was the band's only release on ABC Records. Brand New Day was produced by Roy Halee and former BS&T drummer Bobby Colomby. Colomby and Halee had also co-produced the group's fourth album, Blood, Sweat & Tears 4 in 1971. This collection failed to chart on the Billboard Album Charts in the top 200 even though it did reach #205 under the chart.
The group's lineup stayed constant between this album and 1976's More Than Ever with the exception of the departure of original BS&T drummer Bobby Colomby. Colomby had been the sole remaining original member of the group at the time of his departure in 1976. Roy McCurdy took over the drums beginning on this release.
This album has not been released on compact disc except for an unofficial version made in Russia in the early 2000s. The CD includes a sticker on the front that states "First time on CD! a 1977 studio album by Blood, Sweat and Tears digitally transfered [sic] from original LP", and three additional live tracks (I'll Drown In My Own Tears, Gimme That Wine, and Trouble In Mind / Shake A Hand) not on the original LP.
Writing for Allmusic, critic Jason Elias wrote, "For the most part, Brand New Day wasn't as innovative or as grand as previous releases, but fans will enjoy some of the better moments." Elias also stated "by 1977, the musical landscape had changed, so this is closer to R&B and polished pop, rather than the amalgam of styles that the group was famous for."
- "Somebody I Trusted (Put Out the Light)" (Daniel Moore) – 3:56
- "Dreaming as One" (David Palmer, William Smith) – 4:10
- "Same Old Blues" (J.J. Cale) – 3:07
- "Lady Put Out The Light" (Guy Fletcher, Doug Flett) – 4:00
- "Womanizer" (Randy Sharp) – 3:50
- "Blue Street" (Randy Edelman) – 4:29
- "Gimme That Wine" (Jon Hendricks) – 5:00
- "Rock & Roll Queen (A Tribute to Janis Joplin)" (Bob Johnson, Phil Driscoll) – 5:10
- "Don't Explain" (Arthur Herzog, Jr., Billie Holiday) – 6:00
CD bonus tracks
- "I'll Drown In My Own Tears" (Live) (H. Glover) - 10:18
- "Gimme That Wine" (Live) (Jon Hendricks) - 11:30
- "Trouble In Mind/Shake a Hand (live) - 6:38
- David Clayton-Thomas – Lead vocals
- Roy McCurdy – Drums
- Mike Stern – Guitar
- Larry Willis – Keyboards
- Danny Trifan – bass guitar
- Tony Klatka – Trumpet and Flugelhorn
- Forest Buchtell – Trumpet and Flugelhorn
- Dave Bargeron – Trombone
- Bill Tillman – Saxophone
- Chaka Khan – Co-Lead Vocals on "Dreaming As One"
- Tommy Morgan - Harmonica
- Pete Jolly – Oboe [Mussette]
- Bobby Colomby – Percussion and Vocals
- Paul Shure – Strings
- Willie Smith – Vocals and Organ
- Brenda Bryant, Carl Graves, Ernie Watts, Glen Garrett, John Gross, John Mitchell, John Rosenberg, King Errison, Mike Altshul, Mike Finnigan, Paul Stallworth, Peter Graves, Ray Reed, Bob Payne, Stu Blumberg, Tish Smith, Tom Peterson, Venetta Fields - Choir
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.