From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Daniel Charles Drucker
June 3, 1918
|Died||September 1, 2001(aged 83)|
|Alma mater||Columbia University, B.S. 1938, Ph.D. 1940|
|Awards||Theodore von Karman Medal (1966)|
William Prager Medal (1983)
Timoshenko Medal (1983)
John Fritz Medal (1985)
National Medal of Science (1988)
ASME Medal (1992)
Drucker Medal (1998)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
University of Florida
Daniel Charles Drucker (June 3, 1918 – September 1, 2001) was American civil and mechanical engineer and academic, who served as president of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers in the year 1973–74. and as president of the American Academy of Mechanics in 1981–82.
Drucker was known as an authority on the theory of plasticity in the field of applied mechanics. His key contributions to the field of plasticity include the concept of material stability described by the Drucker stability postulates and the Drucker–Prager yield criterion.
Drucker taught at Brown University from 1946 until 1968 when he joined the University of Illinois as Dean of Engineering. In 1984 he left Illinois to become a graduate research professor at the University of Florida until his retirement in 1994.
In 1988, Drucker was awarded the National Medal of Science. He was a member of the National Academy of Engineering and of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. The Drucker Medal is named in his honor. He was also awarded the Timoshenko Medal in 1983.
Main article: Drucker Medal
- 1998 Daniel C. Drucker
- 1999 Ascher H. Shapiro
- 2000 Philip G. Hodge
- 2001 Bruno A. Boley
- 2002 George J. Dvorak
- 2003 Leon M. Keer
- 2004 Frank A. McClintock
- 2005 Robert L. Taylor
- 2006 Alan Needleman
- 2007 Albert S. Kobayashi
- 2008 Thomas C. T. Ting
- 2009 James R. Barber
- 2010 Rohan Abeyaratne
- 2011 John W. Rudnicki
- 2012 James W. Dally
- 2013 Yonggang Huang
- 2014 Lallit Anand
- 2015 Krishnaswamy Ravi-Chandar
- 2016 Kyung-Suk Kim
- 2017 David Parks
- 2018 David M. Barnett
- 2019 John Bassani
- An evaluation of current knowledge of the mechanics of brittle fracture
- Constitutive relations for finite deformation of polycrystalline metals : proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium, held in Beijing, China, July 22–25, 1991
- Fracture of solids : proceedings of an international conference sponsored by the Institute of Metals Division, American Institute of Mining, Metallurgical, and Petroleum Engineers, Maple Valley, Washington, August 21–24, 1962
- Introduction to mechanics of deformable solids
- Macroscopic fundamentals in brittle fracture, 1967:
- Mechanics of material behavior, 1983:
- On fitting mathematical theories of plasticity to experimental results
- Plastic design methods - advantages and limitations
- Stress analysis by three-dimensional photoclastic methods
- Stress-strain relations in the plastic range : a survey of theory and experiment
- Charles E. Taylor. "DR. DANIEL C. DRUCKER 1918-2001: AAM President 1981-82," at coewww.rutgers.edu. Accessed 2017-09-23.
- G.J. Dvorak, R.T. Shield. Mechanics of Material Behavior: The Daniel C. Drucker Anniversary Volume, 2016. p. 1
- National Science Foundation - The President's National Medal of Science
- Offizielle Webseite
- "2019 Daniel C. Drucker Medal - Professor John Bassani". imechanica.org. 2019-07-07. Retrieved 2019-07-07.
- "American Academy of Mechanics Obituary". Archived from the original on 2016-10-26. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.