From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Location in Iowa
Location in the United States
|• Total||1.66 sq mi (4.31 km2)|
|• Land||1.66 sq mi (4.30 km2)|
|• Water||0.004 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||722 ft (220 m)|
|• Density||255/sq mi (98.3/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central (CST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||455882|
Denmark is an unincorporated community and census-designated place in northeastern Lee County, Iowa, United States. It lies along Iowa Highway 16 north of the city of Fort Madison, the county seat of Lee County. Its elevation is 722 feet (220 m) above sea level. Although Denmark is unincorporated, it has a post office with the ZIP code of 52624, that opened on April 7, 1846. The community is part of the Fort Madison–Keokuk, IA-MO Micropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2010 Census the population of Denmark, Iowa was 423.
Denmark was laid out about 1837.
Previously the district operated Denmark Elementary School in Denmark; in 1998 the school had about 305 students. It originated from the establishment of Denmark Academy in 1845. The original building was destroyed in a fire circa 1924. The district decided to demolish Denmark Elementary in 2012. Ken Marang, the superintendent, stated that the "outdated" building had problems with mold and water leakage and that the fact that "doors open out into the hallways" made it "unsafe". Circa 2013 some residents were calling for the school to be dismantled and the land given to the community.
- "Denmark, Iowa". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Rand McNally, The Road Atlas '08. Chicago: Rand McNally, 2008, p. 39.
- Zip Code Lookup
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Denmark Post Office
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (DP-1), Denmark CDP, Iowa". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved February 3, 2020.
- The History of Lee County, Iowa. Western Historical Company. 1879. pp. 671.
- "About our schools". Fort Madison Community School District. 1998-02-09. Retrieved 2018-09-16.
- Delaney, Robin (2012-04-30). "Alumni, teachers say goodbye". Fort Madison Daily Democrat. Retrieved 2018-09-16.
- "Residents: Deconstruct school, give land to Denmark". Fort Madison Daily Democrat. 2013-01-23. Retrieved 2018-09-16.
- Parrott, Jason (2012-05-31). "Four Southeast Iowa School Buildings Closing". Tri States Public Radio. Retrieved 2018-09-16.
- 'Iowa Biography,' Benjamin F. Gue, Century History Company: 1903, Biographical Sketch of Frank Leverett, pg. 168-169
- Women building Chicago 1790-1990 : a biographical dictionary. Schultz, Rima Lunin, 1943-, Hast, Adele., Paul Avrich Collection (Library of Congress). Bloomington: Indiana University Press. 2001. ISBN 0253338522. OCLC 44573291.CS1 maint: others (link)
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.