From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Elizabeth F. Neufeld
September 27, 1928
|Awards||Dickson Prize (1975)|
Albert Lasker Award for Clinical Medical Research
William Allan Award (1982)
Elliott Cresson Medal (1984)
National Medal of Science (1994)
Elizabeth Fondal Neufeld (born September 27, 1928) is an American geneticist whose research has focused on the genetic basis of metabolic disease in humans.
Neufeld and her Russian Jewish family emigrated to the United States from Paris in 1940; they had left Europe as refugees to escape Nazi persecution. The family settled in New York, where she attended Hunter College High School before graduating from Queens College in 1948 with a Bachelor of Science. She went on to work as a research assistant at the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine looking at blood disorders in mice. Later on, she attended graduate school at University of California, Berkeley, where she earned a Ph.D. in 1956 for her work on nucleotides and complex carbohydrates.
Neufeld has been widely recognized for her contributions to science. She is a member of the National Academy of Sciences. She was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences in 1977. Neufeld has been awarded the Wolf Prize, the Albert Lasker Award for Clinical Medical Research, and was awarded the National Medal of Science in 1994 "for her contributions to the understanding of the lysosomal storage diseases, demonstrating the strong linkage between basic and applied scientific investigation."
- Terrie M. Rooney, ed. (1998). Contemporary Authors. 161. Gale / Cengage Learning. ISBN 9780787619947.
- Hirschhorn, K. (1983). "The William Allan Memorial Award. Presented to Elizabeth F. Neufeld, Ph. D., at the annual meeting of the American Society of Human Genetics Detroit, September 29-October 2, 1982". American Journal of Human Genetics. 35 (6): 1077–80. PMC 1685992. PMID 6417998.
- "Elizabeth Fondal Neufeld". American Academy of Arts & Sciences. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- National Science Foundation. The President's National Medal of Science: Recipient Details - Elizabeth F. Neufeld
- "Elizabeth F. Neufeld, Ph.D." computing technologies research laboratory. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.