From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Gallup High School|
1005 Rico St.
|Type||Public High School|
|Teaching staff||53.62 (FTE)|
|Number of students||884 (2018–19)|
|Student to teacher ratio||16.49|
District 1 AAAA
|Website||Gallup High School|
Gallup High School (GHS) is a public high school in Gallup, New Mexico. Gallup High School is the largest high school in the Gallup-McKinley County School District. The school's campus is relatively new as GHS moved to its current location in 1998 and the old campus became known as Gallup Junior High School, which housed 8th and 9th grade students from 1998 to 2008. In the 2008–2009 school year, Gallup started splitting their 9th and 10th grade students with cross-town Miyamura High School. The Gallup High School attendance boundary after the split will be Gallup's westside and areas located west and north of town.
Wendell Hendricks became the principal in 1970.
In addition to portions of Gallup, it serves Crestview, Defiance, Manuelito, Mentmore, Purty Rock, Rock Springs, Tse Bonito, and Ya-ta-hey, as well as a small section of Catalpa Canyon.
Gallup High School is a member of NMAA's District 1-4A and is highly competitive in girls and boys basketball, the GHS Bengal Girls dance team, and boys and girls cross country. District 1-4A includes Miyamura High School (Gallup, NM), Shiprock High School (Shiprock, NM), Kirtland Central High School (Kirtland, NM), Aztec High School, Bloomfield High School (Bloomfield, NM)
|Basketball State Champions(Girls)||5A, 4A||1994, 1997, 2011, 2021|
|Cross Country State Champions (Boys)||5A||1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989,|
1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1999, 2005, 2007
|Cross Country State Champions (Girls)||4A||1988, 1989, 1990, 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999|
- "GALLUP HIGH". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 6, 2021.
- Clurman, Irene (1970-08-22). "New GHS Principal States Youth Want Rules". The Gallup Independent. Vol. 81, no. 198. Gallup, New Mexico. pp. 1, 9. - See clipping of first and of second page at Newspapers.com.
- "2020 CENSUS - SCHOOL DISTRICT REFERENCE MAP: McKinley County, NM" (PDF). U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 2021-07-20. - Compare with school district maps.
- "GMCS Address Lookup". Gallup-McKinley County Schools. Retrieved 2022-01-15. - KML files: Elementary boundaries and locations, Middle boundaries and locations, and High boundaries and locations.
- Lester, Patrick D. (Patrick David) (1995). The biographical directory of Native American painters. Internet Archive. Tulsa, OK : SIR Publications ; Norman, OK : Distributed by University of Oklahoma Press. ISBN 978-0-8061-9936-8.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.