From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coat of arms
|• Total||3.68 km2 (1.42 sq mi)|
|Elevation||420 m (1,380 ft)|
|• Density||130/km2 (340/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (Central European Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (Central European Summer Time)|
|Surrounded by||Adlikon, Andelfingen, Dägerlen, Dorf, Henggart, Neftenbach|
Humlikon is first mentioned in 1228 as Humlincon.
Humlikon has an area of 3.7 km2 (1.4 sq mi). Of this area, 63.6% is used for agricultural purposes, while 28.3% is forested. The rest of the land, (8.2%) is settled.
The municipality is located south of the Thur river in the Zürcher Weinland.
See also: Swissair Flight 306
On 4 September 1963, 43 people from Humlikon went to visit an agricultural test site near Geneva on Swissair Flight 306. When the flight crashed shortly after take off, the village lost one fifth of its 217 inhabitants, including all members of the municipal council, all the school caretakers and the post office clerk.
Because most households still had grandparents or elder siblings, only six children had to leave their homes, all but one of whom were raised by relatives in other villages.
On October 26 and 27, the new municipal council was elected by the remaining 52 inhabitants entitled to vote; it was not easy to fill all vacancies.
Humlikon has a population (as of 31 December 2019) of 485. As of 2007[update], 4.8% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the past 10 years (2000–2010), the population has grown at a rate of 10.7%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (94.1%), with French being second most common (1.5%) and Serbo-Croatian being third (1.0%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 26.2% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 63.2% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 10.5%. The entire Swiss population is generally well educated. In Humlikon about 85.9% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Humlikon has an unemployment rate of 2.24%. As of 2005[update], there were 27 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 12 businesses involved in this sector. Four people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 2 businesses in this sector. 88 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 13 businesses in this sector. The historical population is given in the following table:
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Humlikon in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived 2016-01-05 at the Wayback Machine accessed 27-Jul-2009
- Humlikon Municipality website Archived 2012-07-17 at the Wayback Machine (in German) accessed 27 Jul 2009.
- "Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit". bfs.admin.ch (in German). Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB. 31 December 2019. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.