From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Luther Kent at the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival
|Birth name||Kent Rowell|
|Also known as||Big Luther, Duke Royal|
|Born||June 23, 1948|
|Origin||New Orleans, Louisiana, USA|
|Genres||Blues, Rhythm and Blues, Gospel|
|Years active||1962 - present|
|Labels||Renegade, Louisiana Red Hot, Vetter Communications|
|Associated acts||Trick Bag, Blood, Sweat & Tears, The Dukes of Dixieland|
Luther Kent (born June 23, 1948) is an American blues singer based in New Orleans, Louisiana. Kent is known for a big soulful voice and his big horn-based group Luther Kent & Trick Bag that mixed swinging blues with New Orleans R&B.
Kent began to sing professionally when he was 14, and his first record was released by Montel Records. In 1970, he became the lead singer for a group named Cold Grits. The group was subsequently signed to Ode Records, but their record was never released. Kent joined Blood Sweat & Tears in 1974 and toured with them until the end of that same year. However, he never recorded with the group as he was still bound by contract with Ode Records at the time.
In 1977, Kent released his first solo album, World Class, on RCS Records, produced by Cy Frost at Abbey Road Studios in St. John's Wood, London, and Applewood Studios in Colorado. In 1978, Kent and ex-Wayne Cochran musical director, Charlie Brent, formed Luther Kent & Trick Bag. The band was active during the 1980s and 1990s, and released 3 CDs under the name.
Kent released a gospel album in 1996 teaming up with John Lee & the Heralds of Christ. The album also featured Allen Toussaint and Pete Fountain. Kent toured Italy in 2006 with Italian blues guitarist Robi Zonca and his band. The show was recorded and released as album Magic Box that year.
Apart from his solo work, Kent also sings as a guest with the traditional jazz group, The Dukes of Dixieland on selected dates. Kent is also on some of their recordings.
- 1977 World Class (Record Company of the South)
- 1987 Luther Kent & Trick Bag / It's in the Bag (Renegade)
- Luther Kent & Trick Bag / Good News Blues (Renegade)
- 1996 Luther Kent with John Lee & The Heralds of Christ / Gospel & Holiday Spirituals (Renegade)
- 1997 Luther Kent & Trick Bag / Live (Renegade)
- 1999 Down in New Orleans (Louisiana Red Hot)
- 2008 The Bobby Bland Songbook (Vetter Communications)
- 2013 Luther (Atoula Publishing)
- 2004 Forever Fabulous Chickenhawks Showband & All-Star Revue / Deep In The Heart (Louisiana Red Hot)
- 2005 The Dukes of Dixieland / Christmas in New Orleans (Leisure Jazz)
- 2005 The Dukes of Dixieland / Louisiana Legends (Leisure Jazz)
- 2006 The Dukes of Dixieland / New Orleans Mardi Gras (Leisure Jazz)
- 2006 The Dukes of Dixieland / Timeless (Leisure Jazz)
- 2006 Robbi Zonca and his band featuring Luther Kent / Magic Box (Mousemen)
- ""Classic Songs": A Romantic Jewel Pulled Out of Luther Kent's Trick Bag (Club Louisianne)". Archived from the original on 4 July 2008. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
- Luther Kent biography on Allmusic
- "CD Baby Music Store". Store.cdbaby.com. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
- "Luther Kent biography on official website". Archived from the original on 5 December 2008. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
- "CD Baby Music Store". Store.cdbaby.com. Archived from the original on 18 August 2007. Retrieved 12 November 2020.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.