From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Magheracross is a townland and civil parish in County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. It extends in area from just north of Enniskillen to the Border with County Tyrone. There is also a small enclave in County Tyrone.
Notable landmarks in the parish include:
- Ballinamallard, main town of the parish
- Cavanalough Glebe  is a locality and townland in Magheracross, located at 54° 24' 19" N, 7° 33' 20" W in the Barony of Tirkennedy The townland is 398.88 acres in area.
- Coa, County Fermanagh
- Cooltrain is a townland in Mageracross civil parish, County Fermanagh. It is located at 54° 23' 20" N, 7° 33' 46" W. and is 159.89 acres in area.
- Currin, is a locality and townland, located at 54° 24' 7" N, 7° 35' 17" W. Currin is 327.46 acres in area.
- Drumcreen, is a locality and townland in Magheracross Northern Ireland, located at 54° 25' 28" N, 7° 34' 38" W. The townland of Drumcreen is 123.37 acres in area.
- Drummurry is a townland in Mageracross civil parish, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. The topography is undulating and sighltly marshy. and landuse is predominantly agricultural but includes newer urban development on the outskirts of Ballinamallard township. It is located at 54° 25' 9" N, 7° 36' 14" W. and is 165.91 acres in area.
- Drumsloe, is a locality and townland located at 54° 24′ 30.39″ N, 7° 34′ 17.41″ W, in Magheracross parish. Drumsloe is 240.77 acres in area. It has been known as early as 1609AD when it was known as Dromslo, a name that may be from Druim Sluagh meaning ridge of the hosts. The Griffith's Valuation of 1863 indicates a school was located in Drumsloe. Significant landmarks include drumsloe lough, where illegal distillery on Drumsloe Island was operated for some time in the early 19th century.
- Magheracross' is a townland within the Parish of the same name.
- Salloon is a locality and townland in Mageracross civil parish. Salloon is in the Barony of Tirkennedy and is located at 54° 25' 49" N, 7° 35' 35" W and is 222.08 acres in area. A large townland, Salloon takes in large areas of rural farmland but also includes about a third of the township of Ballinamallard.
- Salary, Northern Ireland is a townland and locality in Mageracross civil parish, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland. It is located at 54° 24' 53" N, 7° 36' 47" W. Salary is in the Barony of Tirkennedy and is 212.98 acres in area.
- Sidaire townland in Mageracross civil parish is located at 54° 25' 27" N, 7° 37' 9" W.
Religion has played a large part in the History of Magheracross. About 450AD the local parish was said to have been founded by St Patrick and about 550AD St Columba passed thorough the area. In the 7th century Laisrén mac Nad Froích founded a community on nearby Devenish Island. Another Monastery was built in the middle ages in the Parish, and other establishments built at nearby Trory. In 1769 John Wesley visited the district bringing Methodism and nearby Coa Chapel was built in 1770.
- Cooltrain townland.
- Currin Townland Information.
- Drumcreen Townland information.
- Photo of Drummuray
- Drummuray townlands.
- Drummuray townland.
- Drumsloe Townland Information.
- Drumsloe place name.
- Ballinamallard History.
- Salloon Town Land.
- Salry Townland Information.
- "The Pilgrim Tramps. The Rite of Baptism. Immersion of 27 Followers in the Ballinamallard River" The Impartial Reporter and Farmers Journal, Enniskillin, Northern Ireland. 29 September 1904, p. 8.
- "Crowds Await Millennium. Cooneyites Hold Prayer Meetings and Baptize Hundreds Daily in Ireland" The New York Times, New York, New York. 4 August 1909, p. 3.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.