From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Studio album by|
|Released||October 20, 1998|
|Recorded||June 1, 1998|
|Studio||Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ|
|Houston Person chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
In his review on Allmusic, Dave Nathan states "Person uses his knowledge and experience to revisit nine very familiar standards with his big, full-bodied, soulful tenor saxophone. ... Given the very intimate nature of the session, this recording could easily have been of a live performance from a small, smoky lounge. All that's missing are the tinkling glasses in the background and the light, knowledgeable applause of jazz fans who've dropped by to enjoy an evening of good music played by top jazz musicians. Those who prefer a harsh, more cutting element to their music may find this album somewhat too slick for their tastes. This session is a reminder of the pleasures that the intimate side of jazz offers"
- "But Beautiful" (Jimmy Van Heusen, Johnny Burke) – 6:12
- "Blue Moon" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 5:46
- "Laura" (David Raksin, Johnny Mercer) – 7:30
- "The Very Thought of You" (Ray Noble) – 4:55
- "Mean to Me" (Fred E. Ahlert, Roy Turk) – 7:37
- "My Romance" (Rodgers, Hart) – 5:39
- "Stairway to the Stars" (Matty Malneck, Frank Signorelli, Mitchell Parish) – 5:41
- "Love Is Here to Stay" (George Gershwin Ira Gershwin) – 4:59
- "Time After Time" (Jule Styne, Sammy Cahn) – 6:45
- Jazz Depot: HighNote discography accessed March 6, 2018
- Payne, D. Houston Person Discography accessed March 6, 2018
- Enciclopedia del Jazz: Houston Person accessed March 12, 2018
- Nathan, Dave. Houston Person – My Romance: Review at AllMusic. Retrieved March 6, 2018.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 1148. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.