From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
North Karelia Brigade (Finnish Pohjois-Karjalan prikaati) is a former Finnish Army unit that was situated in Kontioranta, Kontiolahti, about 19 kilometres North from the city of Joensuu. The brigade was closed down in the end of 2013. Annually 1500 recruits started their military service in Kontioranta. The brigade was the infantry centre of Eastern Finland: it trained soldiers to work in the roadless circumstances in North Karelia, Southern Savonia and Northern Savonia. The majority of conscripts were from that area. There were about 300 staff and career personnel. The last commander of the Brigade was Colonel Jari Kytölä.
- Karelia Jaeger Battalion
- Jaeger Company
- Mortar Company
- Sissi Company
- Antitank Company
- Headquarters and Maintenance Company
- Karelia Military Band
- Non-commissioned officer School
- Maintenance Center
- Colonel (1990) Ilkka Hollo Jul 1. to Dec 31. 1990
- Colonel (1991) Pekka Ripatti 1991 to 1994
- Colonel (1994) Lauri Ruonansuu 1994 to 1998
- Colonel Antti Lankinen 1998 to 2000
- Colonel (1999) Asko Kohvakka 2000 to 2002
- Colonel (2002) Keijo Simola Nov 1. 2002 to Feb 29. 2004
- Colonel (2003) Harri Ohra-Aho Mar 1. 2004 to Dec 31. 2006
- Colonel (2003) Viljo Hyvärinen Jan 1. 2007 to Sep 30. 2009
- Colonel (2005) Jari Kytölä Oct 1. 2009 to Dec 31. 2013
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.