From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Full name||Oxford University Association Football Club|
|Founded||9 November 1871|
|Ground||Iffley Road Stadium,|
|League||BUCS MARS Midlands Division 1A|
Oxford University Association Football Club is an English football club representing the University of Oxford. The club currently plays in the BUCS Football League, the league system of British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS). In 2020, the club merged with Oxford University Women's Association Football Club (OUWAFC) to create one single entity.
Formed on 9 November 1871, the club was a giant of the 1870s, winning the FA Cup 2–0 against Royal Engineers in 1874 and finishing the competition as runners-up in 1873, 1877 and 1880, the last year they competed. The club merged with OUWAFC, the women's club, in 1998.
OUAFC has competed in the British University and College Sports (BUCS) leagues as well as contesting the annual Varsity Football Match against Cambridge University. In 2016, it has seen play Arnaud Trébaol, former player of Royal Excel Mouscron, former Financial Stability Expert at the European Central Bank, and current Economist at Banque de France.
Twenty-nine Oxford players were capped for England, including three of the team which took part in the first international match on 30 November 1872: Frederick Chappell, Arnold Kirke-Smith and Cuthbert Ottaway.
- John Bain (1 cap)
- Arthur Berry (1 cap)
- Francis Birley (1 cap)
- W. Blackburn (1 cap)
- William Bromley-Davenport (2 caps)
- B.O. Corbett (1 cap)
- Frederick Chappell (1 cap)
- Edmund Currey (2 caps)
- Andy Adams (1 cap)
- Reginald Erskine 'Tip' Foster (1 cap)
- C.B. Fry (2 caps)
- W.E. Gilliat (1 cap)
- Henry Hammond (1 cap)
- A.F. Hills (1 cap)
- K.R.G. Hunt (2 caps)
- Elphinstone Jackson (1 cap)
- Robert Stuart King (1 cap)
- Arnold Kirke-Smith (1 cap)
- William Oakley (4 caps)
- Cuthbert Ottaway (2 caps)
- Percival Parr (1 cap)
- E.H. Parry (3 caps)
- George Raikes (4 caps)
- William Rawson (2 caps)
- I.C.F. Ryder (1 cap)
- Gilbert Oswald Smith (7 caps)
- A.G. Topham (2 caps)
- Robert Vidal (1 cap)
- Percy Walters (13 caps)
- Leonard Wilkinson (2 caps)
- Claude Wilson (1 cap)
- Charles Wreford-Brown (1 cap)
- Sydney Darvell (2 caps)
- C.H. Davies (1 cap)
- William Evans (2 caps)
- Alexander Jones (1 cap)
- Hugh Morgan-Owen (6 caps)
- Morgan Morgan-Owen (11 caps)
The following player was capped for Ireland while registered with Oxford University A.F.C.:
- J.V. Nolan-Whelan (4 caps)
- "Oxford University AFC Profile". England Football Online. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- Oxford University at the Football Club History Database
- "History of OUAFC". Oxford University AFC. Archived from the original on 8 January 2015. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- Weir, Colin (1998). The History of Oxford University Association Football Club 1872-1998. Yore Publications. p. 159. ISBN 1 874427 82 8.
- Davies, Gareth; Garland, Ian (1991). Who's Who of Welsh International Soccer Players. Bridge Books. ISBN 1-872424-11-2.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.