Rapid influenza diagnostic test

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A rapid influenza diagnostic test (RIDT) tells whether a person has a current influenza infection by detecting the influenza viral nucleoprotein antigen. Commercially available RIDTs can provide results within 30 minutes. These results can be observed by a color change or other visual signals.[1][2] For clinicians, RIDTs serve as a first-line test that can be confirmed (especially if negative) by traditional diagnostic tests. RIDTs also allow clinicians to promptly start antiviral treatment in high-risk populations, to formulate effective infection control measures, and to make informed decisions regarding diagnostic investigations.[3][4] RIDTs have been shown to reduce chest radiography and blood tests in ambulatory care settings, but not antibiotic prescribing, or time in the emergency department.[5]

Accordung to a study, an H1N1 rapid test had a sensitivity of 66 %, corresponding to a false-negative probability of 34 % in detecting H1N1.[6]