From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Roman Szporluk (Ukrainian: Рома́н Шпорлю́к; Schporlyuk; born 8 September 1933) is a Ukrainian-American political scientist and historian. He is a professor emeritus at Harvard and the University of Michigan. He has written several books and many papers. He is the father of poet Larissa Szporluk and novelist Ben Vendetta.
Szporluk was born in Grzymałów (Kopychyntsi county, Tarnopol voivodeship in the Ukrainian SSR, today in Ternopil region, Ukraine) and studied in Lublin after World War II at Maria Curie-Skłodowska University graduating in 1955. He did post-graduate work for three years and then headed west in 1958 studying political thought at Oxford University in 1961 under Sir Isaiah Berlin and John Plamenatz and at Stanford.
From 1965 until 1991, he worked at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor as a professor of history. There he also was a Director of the Center for Russian and Eastern European Studies at the University of Michigan.
Szporluk was one of Fiona Hill's Phd advisors.
Member of the Ukrainian Free Academy of Sciences in the USA.
Member of the Board of the American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies (1976-1979).
Foreign Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
Member of the Shevchenko Scientific Society.
He is the compiler and editor of the selected articles by M. Pokrovsky ("Russian in World History", 1970) and the combined work "The Influence of Eastern Europe and the Soviet West on the USSR" (1975).
- Struk, Danylo Husar (1993). Encyclopedia of Ukraine: Volume V: St-Z. University of Toronto Press. p. 481. ISBN 978-1-4426-5127-2. Retrieved 5 August 2020.
- Kindras, Kateryna; Labunsky, Valentyn (9 February 2009). "Роман Шпорлюк: "Не варто мислити п'ятирічними планами"". Ukrainska Pravda (in Ukrainian). Retrieved 5 August 2020.
- "Roman Szporluk". Center for European Studies at Harvard University. December 22, 2015. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "Roman Szporluk". Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies. December 17, 2012. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- "Memoir - Faculty History Project". Homepage | U-M Library. June 30, 1991. Retrieved January 16, 2018.
- Szporluk, Roman (June 19, 2008) . The political thought of Thomas G. Masaryk. Boulder Colo. New York: East European Monographs Distributed by Columbia University Press. ISBN 978-0-914710-79-0.
- Szporluk, Roman (1991). Communism and nationalism : Karl Marx versus Friedrich List. New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-505103-3.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.