From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Directed by||Irvin Willat|
|Screenplay by||James Shelley Hamilton|
|Based on||novel by Joseph C. Lincoln|
|Produced by||Jesse L. Lasky|
J. P. Lockney
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Rugged Water is a 1925 American drama silent film directed by Irvin Willat and written by James Shelley Hamilton and Joseph C. Lincoln. The film stars Lois Wilson, Wallace Beery, Warner Baxter, Phyllis Haver, Dot Farley, J. P. Lockney, James Mason and Willard Cooley. The film was released on August 17, 1925, by Paramount Pictures.
A Cape Cod melodrama about the U.S. Life-Saving Service based on a novel by Joseph C. Lincoln. When the captain of the Setauket Life Saving Station retires, the second in command, Calvin Homer (Warner Baxter), expects to be promoted; but the appointment goes instead to Benoni Bartlett (Wallace Beery), a religious fanatic who has been named a hero as the only survivor of dangerous rescue that claimed the lives of his fellow crewmen at a neighboring station. Bartlett's daughter Norma (Lois Wilson)) convinces Homer to stay in spite of her father's antagonistic ways. Soon a romance springs up between the two of them, even though Myra Fuller (Phyllis Haver) had already finagled a proposal out of Homer. Myra, the village vamp, breaks off her engagement to him. When a storm blows, Bartlett's religious fanaticism proves to be nothing but a cover for his cowardice and he refuses to send his crew out to rescue a vessel in distress. Calvin takes the men out and effects the rescue. Bartlett is discharged, and Calvin is appointed to replace him. Driven insane by his experiences, Bartlett ventures out in a small boat in rough water, and Calvin rescues him. The old man dies from exposure, and Norma, having realized that Calvin was not responsible for her father's disgrace, seeks refuge in his strong arms.
- Lois Wilson as Norma Bartlett
- Wallace Beery as Capt. Bartlett
- Warner Baxter as Calvin Horner
- Phyllis Haver as Myra Fuller
- Dot Farley as Mrs. Fuller
- J. P. Lockney as Supt. Lockney
- James Mason as Wally Oakes
- Willard Cooley as Sam Bearse
- Walter Ackerman as Cook
- Knute Erickson as Jarvis
- Thomas Delmar as Gammon
- Jack Byron as Orrin Hendricks
- Walter Rodgers as Bloomer
- Warren Rogers as Josh Phinney
- Janiss Garza (2014). "Rugged-Water - Trailer - Cast - Showtimes - NYTimes.com". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. Archived from the original on August 9, 2014. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- "Rugged Water". afi.com. Retrieved February 6, 2015.
- The Library of Congress American Silent Feature Film Survival Catalog:Rugged Water
- Rugged Water at Lost Film Files:Paramount lost films - 1925
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.