From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Shire of Alexandra|
|• Density||2.7852/km2 (7.214/sq mi)|
|Area||2,197.31 km2 (848.4 sq mi)|
The Shire of Alexandra was a local government area located about 130 kilometres (81 mi) northeast of Melbourne, the state capital of Victoria, Australia. The shire covered an area of 2,197.31 square kilometres (848.4 sq mi), and existed from 1868 until 1994.
- 20 May 1914 - annexed part of the North Riding of the Shire of Yea;
- 1 October 1963 - part of the shire annexed to the Shire of Euroa;
- 1 October 1963 - annexed part of Shire of Healesville, around Buxton;
- 1 October 1984 - annexed the East Riding of the Shire of Healesville, around Marysville;
On 18 November 1994, the Shire of Alexandra was abolished, and, along with the Shire of Yea and parts of the City of Whittlesea and the Shires of Broadford, Eltham, Euroa and Healesville, was merged into the newly created Shire of Murrindindi.
The Shire of Alexandra was divided into three ridings on 3 August 1985, each of which elected three councillors. Prior to this, it was divided into five ridings in May 1957.
- Central Riding
- North East Riding
- South Riding
- Buxton (transferred from the Shire of Healesville in 1963)
- Marysville (transferred from the Shire of Healesville in 1984)
- Narbethong (transferred from the Shire of Healesville in 1984)
- St Filians
- Snobs Creek
* Estimate in the 1958 Victorian Year Book.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics, Victoria Office (1994). Victorian Year Book. p. 52. ISSN 0067-1223.
- Victorian Municipal Directory. Brunswick: Arnall & Jackson. 1992. pp. 562–563. Accessed at State Library of Victoria, La Trobe Reading Room.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (1 August 1995). Victorian local government amalgamations 1994-1995: Changes to the Australian Standard Geographical Classification (PDF). Commonwealth of Australia. p. 10. ISBN 0-642-23117-6. Retrieved 5 January 2008.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.