From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Shire of Moorabool|
|• Density||16.181/km2 (41.908/sq mi)|
|Gazetted||6 May 1994|
|Area||2,111 km2 (815.1 sq mi)|
|Mayor||Cr Tom Sullivan|
|Council seat||Bacchus Marsh|
|Website||Shire of Moorabool|
The Shire of Moorabool is a local government area in Victoria, Australia, located in the western part of the state. It covers an area of 2,111 square kilometres (815 sq mi) and, in June 2018, had a population of 34,158. It includes the towns of Ballan, Bacchus Marsh, Balliang, Mount Wallace, Myrniong, Blackwood, Greendale, Gordon, Korweinguboora and Mount Egerton, Bungaree, Elaine and Wallace. It was formed in 1994 from the amalgamation of the Shire of Bacchus Marsh, Shire of Ballan and parts of the Shire of Bungaree and City of Werribee.
The Shire is governed and administered by the Moorabool Shire Council; its seat of local government and administrative centre is located at the council headquarters in Ballan, it also has service centres located in Bacchus Marsh and Darley. The Shire is named after the Moorabool River, a major geographical feature that meanders through the area, which is named after the Wathawurrung word moo-roo-bul referring to Bunyip-like creature that lives in the river.
The council is composed of four wards and seven councillors, with four councillors elected to represent the East Moorabool Ward and one councillor per remaining ward elected to represent each of the other wards.
|Central Moorabool||Paul Tatchell|
|East Moorabool||Rod Ward|
|West Moorabool||Tom Sullivan||Mayor|
The council meets in the council chambers at the council headquarters in the Ballan Municipal Offices, which is also the location of the council's administrative activities. It also provides customer services at both its administrative centre in Ballan, and its service centre in Bacchus Marsh.
In June 2018 the shire had a population of 34,158.
- "3218.0 – Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2017-18: Population Estimates by Local Government Area (ASGS 2018), 2017 to 2018". Australian Bureau of Statistics. Australian Bureau of Statistics. 27 March 2019. Retrieved 25 October 2019. Estimated resident population, 30 June 2018.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S23 of 1994: Order estg (Part 4) the Shire of Moorabool". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 9 May 1994). p. 1. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Victoria Government Gazette – Online Archive (1837–1997). "S97 of 1994: Order altg (Part 22) the Shire of Moorabool". State Library of Victoria. State Government of Victoria (published 15 December 1994). p. 10. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- Massola, Aldo (1968). Bunjil's Cave. Lansdowne Press. ISBN 9780391019621.
- Local Government in Victoria. "Moorabool Shire Council". Councillors. Moorabool Shire Council. Retrieved 8 May 2016.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.