From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Died||December 5, 2014 (aged 105)|
Mexico City, Mexico
|Awards||Guggenheim Fellowship, 1937|
National Prize for Arts and Sciences, 1969
Silvio Arturo Zavala Vallado (February 7, 1909 – December 5, 2014) was a pioneer in law history studies and Mexico’s institutions. He died at age 105 on December 12, 2014.
He began his professional career in Spain in the Center for Historic Studies in Madrid.
He has been a member of El Colegio Nacional since January 6, 1947, and of the Board of the Chronicle of Mexico City. He received the 1969 National Literature Award; the Vasco de Quiroga Medal (1986); the Rafael Heliodoro Valle Award (1988); the Eligio Ancona Medal; and the Prince of Asturias Award. He served as Ambassador of Mexico in France from 1966 to 1975.
He has written over sixty books and two hundred and fifty articles. In May 2008, at the age of 99, the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH) bestowed upon him the Acknowledgment to a Lifetime Career to honor his work as a historian, scholar, researcher, thinker and cultural advocate. He died in Mexico City on December 5, 2014 at the age of 105.
- Las instituciones jurídicas en la conquista de América, Madrid, 1935.
- La encomienda indiana, Madrid, 1935.
- Fuentes para la historia del trabajo en Nueva España, México, 1939-1946.
- Ideario de Vasco de Quiroga, México, 1941.
- New Viewpoints on the Spanish Colonization of America, Philadelphia, University of Pennsylvania Press, 1943.
- Ensayos sobre la colonización española en América, Buenos Aires, 1944.
- La filosofía política en la conquista de América, México, 1947.
- Aproximaciones a la historia de México, México, 1953.
- Sir Thomas More in New Spain: A Utopian Adventure of the Renaissance, Londres, Canning House, 1955.
- La defensa de los derechos del hombre en América Latina (siglos XVI-XVIII), París, Unesco, 1963.
- Recuerdo de Vasco de Quiroga, México, D. F., Editorial Porrúa, 1965.
- El Mundo Americano en la Época Colonial, México, Editorial Porrúa, 1968.
- Orígenes de la colonización en el Río de la Plata, México, D. F., El Colegio Nacional, 1978.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.