From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Southwind Vineyard & Winery|
|Location||385 Lebanon Road, Millville, NJ, USA|
|Coordinates||39.447796 N, 75.141078 W|
|Appellation||Outer Coastal Plain AVA|
|First vines planted||2006|
|Opened to the public||2012|
|Key people||Joseph Riley & Lorre Allen (owners)|
Jamie Sherman (viticulturalist)
|Other attractions||Horse boarding, hunter pacing, picnicking permitted, pet-friendly|
|Distribution||On-site, home shipment|
|Tasting||Tastings Tuesday to Sunday|
Southwind Vineyard & Winery is a winery in Deerfield Township (mailing address is Millville) in Cumberland County, New Jersey. A family horse farm since 1978, the vineyard was first planted in 2006, and opened to the public in 2012. Southwind has 4 acres of grapes under cultivation, and produces 800 cases of wine per year. The winery's name reflects the Southern origin of the farm's original owners, and their desire to provide Southern hospitality.
Southwind Vineyard is located in the Outer Coastal Plain AVA, and produces wine from Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chambourcin, Chardonnay, Concord, Malbec, Merlot, Muscat blanc, and Viognier grapes. Southwind also makes fruit wines from limes and peaches.
The winery offers horse boarding and hunter pacing, and specializes in the use of Lippizan horses. Southwind has a plenary winery license from the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, which allows it to produce an unrestricted amount of wine, operate up to 15 off-premises sales rooms, and ship up to 12 cases per year to consumers in-state or out-of-state. The winery is a member of the Garden State Wine Growers Association and the Outer Coastal Plain Vineyard Association.
- Choukroun-Chicheportiche, Jonathan. "Southwind Vineyard & Winery" on Vert de Vin (blog) (19 September 2013). Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- Westrich, Sal. New Jersey Wine: A Remarkable History. (Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2012). ISBN 9781609491833.
- Peskoe, Ashley. "New Jersey wineries showcase selections at annual festival" in The Star-Ledger (8 April 2013). Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- Pavlis, Gary C. "Fresh Spirit: Small Fortune, Sweet Reward" in Edible Jersey (Fall 2012). Retrieved 19 April 2013.
- Toms, Charlie. "Southwind Vineyard Review" in American Winery Guide (30 November 2013). Retrieved 16 December 2013.
- Procida, Lee. "South Jersey winemakers hope rain stays away so they get excellent grape harvest" in The Press of Atlantic City (29 August 2012). Retrieved 3 November 2013.
- Jackson, Bart. Garden State Wineries Guide. (South San Francisco, CA: Wine Appreciation Guild, 2011). ISBN 9781934259573.
- Vanaman, Joyce. "Valiant steeds: Area riders love their Lippizaners" in The Press of Atlantic City (28 February 1996). Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- Culley, Toni. "Southwind ranch enchanted hunter pace" in The Atlantic City Examiner (28 March 2011). Retrieved 11 May 2013.
- New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control. "New Jersey ABC license update" (16 April 2013). Retrieved 24 August 2013.
- New Jersey General Assembly. "N.J.S.A. 33:1-10". Statutes of New Jersey. New Jersey.
- Garden State Wine Growers Association. "GSWGA Wineries." Archived 2013-06-21 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 22 March 2013.
- Outer Coastal Plain Vineyard Association. "Outer Coastal Plain Vineyards." Retrieved 8 September 2013.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.