From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Also known as||Nihilist Surfin' Group|
|Origin||Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan|
|Genres||Experimental, noise, punk rock, grindcore, japanoise, hardcore punk, field recordings|
|Years active||1985–2003, 2013-present|
|Labels||Vis a Vis|
|Past members||Tetsuya Endoh (Gero 30)|
Though they are often categorized with Japanese harsh noise acts such as Merzbow and Masonna, The Gerogerigegege has also released albums of more straightforward punk rock (Sexual Behavior in the Human Male), noise (45 RPM Performance), and ambient music (None Friendly, Endless Humiliation), in addition to several seven inch records mixing these styles with found recordings. The group is best known for their 1990 album Tokyo Anal Dynamite. Juntaro Yamanouchi also ran the Vis a Vis record label.
Over the years, The Gerogerigegege has included many members, the most notable and consistent other than Yamanouchi being Gero 30 (aka Gero 56, real name Tetsuya Endoh), an exhibitionist known to masturbate onstage during live performances. Male masturbation is called Senzuri (千擦り, "a thousand rubs") in Japanese and was Gero 30's trademark. Yamanouchi met Gero 30 at an S&M club in 1986. Other members have included Toshinori Fukuda (aka Dynamite Gero) on drums, Hironao Komaki (Dee Dee Gero) on guitar, Junko Katoh (Gero Grace Seijoh), their live manager, and Masatoshi Katsuya (Gero Route 66), the band's driver.
The Gerogerigegege is known for their releasing records with unusual concepts, such as 1989's Showa (昭和) released after the death of Hirohito, which bookended a recording of people having sex to "Kimigayo", the Japanese national anthem. A special edition of Showa falsely presented itself as a Ramones bootleg called Britzkrieg '75 (Demo Tracks), with no mention of Gerogerigegege or Showa anywhere on the release. The Night 7″ features a recording of a man defecating into a toilet after the usual "one, two, three, four" count. The compilation album Recollections of Primary Masturbation contains 338 songs, including the entirety of Tokyo Anal Dynamite as one track.
There are also some non-musical conceptual releases including Shaking Box Music: You Are the Noise Maker, which consists of 100 blank cassettes in a large metal box. This Is Shaking Box Music Part 2, which is a destroyed copy of the Mother Fellatio EP in a cassette case. Art Is Over consists of a single octopus tentacle housed in a cassette box. These non-music releases were typically released in even smaller quantities than the music releases, in quantities of 50 or less. Similar concepts are rampant throughout the band's catalogue, and often, the more ridiculous the theme or packaging of a release is, the more sought after it is by collectors. Copies of some Gerogerigegege records sell for hundreds of US dollars.
Following the release of Saturday Night Big Cock Salaryman in 2001, the Gerogerigegege became inactive. Juntaro Yamanouchi had seemingly disappeared, people who had dealings with Gerogerigegege had no idea on how to contact him. Rumours proliferated on the internet about his fate. On 27 August 2013, a Twitter post from 解体義太夫 stated that he had been contacted by Juntaro Yamanouchi.
The first Gerogerigegege release in 15 years, Moenai Hai (燃えない灰), was released on 20 April 2016 by Eskimo Records, Japan.
- Studio and Live (as The Gero-P) (1985)
- Senzuri Champion (1987)
- Showa (昭和) (1988)
- Tokyo Anal Dynamite (1990)
- Live Greatest Hits (1991)
- Senzuri Power Up (1991)
- 45RPM Performance (1992)
- Hotel Ultra (1993)
- Nothing to Hear, Nothing to... 1985 (1993)
- Endless Humiliation (1994)
- Instruments Disorder (1994)
- Mort Douce Live (1996)
- Hell Driver (1999)
- None Friendly (1999)
- RRRecycled Music (~1999)
- Saturday Night Big Cock Salaryman (2001)
- Moenai Hai (燃えない灰) (2016)
- Uguisudani Apocalypse (2019)
- Sexual Behavior in the Human Male EP (1988)
- All My Best, with Love Juntaro (~1990)
- William Bennett Is My Dick (~1990)
- No Sound (~1990)
- More Shit E.P. (1992)
- Senzuri Monkey Metal Action (1992)
- Kitanomaru Hyakkei (北の丸百景) (1993)
- Night (1993)
- Yellow Trash Bazooka EP (1993)
- Mother Fellatio EP (1993)
- Life Documents (1994)
- Senzuri Fight Back (1994)
- All You Need Is Audio Shock (1995)
- Veel Plezier met de Gerogerigegege! (1995)
- Wreck of Rock 'n' Roll Former Self (1995)
- Gay Sex Can Be Aids (split with Origami Erotika) (1996)
- Seven Inches of Meat (split with Origami Erotika) (1996)
- "Ramones" (split with Bastard Noise) (1996)
- Yasukuni Jinja (靖國神社) (1996)
- Eternal Energy (split with Psyalpinx) (1997)
- HGI (~1998)
- Early Dream Exit (2000)
- Live in USA (split with Crowd Surfers Must Die) (2001)
- The Gerogerigegege (2017)
- Singles 1985–1993 (1994)
- Recollections of Primary Masturbation (1998)
- All You Need Is an Audio Shock by Japanese Ultra Shit Band (2012)
- Showa (Ramones Edition) at Discogs
- "the gerogerigegege: this is shaking box 2 review". the gerogerigegege: 56k performance. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- "the gerogerigegege: art is over". the gerogerigegege: 56k performance. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- 解体義太夫 (August 27, 2013). "n/a". Twitter. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
- "THE GEROGERIGEGEGE "燃えない灰 (Moenai Hai)" CD on Eskimo Records!". Lust Vessel Distribution. Retrieved 23 April 2016.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.