From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|The Legend of Georgia McBride|
|Written by||Matthew Lopez|
Miss Tracy Mills
|Date premiered||January 2014|
|Place premiered||Denver Center for the Performing Arts|
Casey, a young Elvis Presley impersonator barely making a living, finds a path to prosperity by becoming a lip-syncing drag queen. He's young, he's broke, his landlord's knocking at the door, and he's just found out his wife is pregnant. To make matters even more desperate, Casey is fired from his gig as an Elvis impersonator in a run-down, small-town Florida bar. When the bar owner brings in a B-level drag show to replace his act, Casey finds that he has a whole lot to learn about show business—and himself.
The Legend of Georgia McBride premiered at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts in January 2014. The production was directed by Mike Donahue. That production was subsequently produced Off-Broadway at MCC Theatre, opening in September 2015, again directed by Mike Donahue, featuring choreography by Paul McGill. The play ran at the Geffen Playhouse in Los Angeles from April to May 2017, directed by Donahue with McGill's choreography.
The play has been produced at Marin Theatre Company in 2017 in Mill Valley, California, directed by Kent Gash, the Arden Theatre in Philadelphia in October to December 4, 2016, directed by Emmanuelle Delpech, at Redwood Curtain Theatre in Humboldt County, directed by Shea King, and at ACT in Seattle in 2017, directed by David Bennett.
Flying Anvil Theatre in Knoxville, Tennessee, staged their production of the play from May 30, 2018 to June 24, 2018.
Los Altos Stage presented the play September 6 to 30, 2018 in Los Altos, California. B Street Theatre at The Sofia in Sacramento, California produced the play from November 6 to December 9, 2018, directed by Jerry Montoya.
Vermont Stage ran the play April 17-May 5, 2019 at the Black Box Theatre in Burlington, Vermont, starring Irving Green, Bob Bolyard, Larry Connolly, Britt Michael Gordon, and Lia-Shea Tillett. 
Source: Internet Off-Broadway database
- Outstanding Choreographer — Paul McGill, Choreographer (nominated)
- Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play — Matt McGrath (win)
- Outstanding Costume Design — Anita Yavich (win)
- Outstanding Lighting Design — Ben Stanton (nominated)
- Outstanding Featured Actor in a Play — Matt McGrath (nominated)
- Outstanding Wig and Hair — Jason Hayes (nominated)
- Outstanding Costume Design — Anita Yavich (win)
- 2016 Hewes Design Award, Costume Design (nominated)
- Outstanding New Off-Broadway Play (nominated)
- Outstanding Director of a Play — Donahue (nominated)
- Lucille Lortel Award for New Director — Donahue (nominated)
- Bows, Bob. "Denver Theater Review: The Legend of Georgia McBride " Variety, January 22, 2014
- Isherwood, Charles (September 9, 2015). "Review: 'The Legend of Georgia McBride,' From Elvis Impersonator to Drag Queen". The New York Times.
- McNulty, Charles (April 13, 2017). "Pull off the wig and falsies, and 'Georgia McBride' hits its groove". Los Angeles Times.
- "Denver Center for the Performing Arts". Denver Center.
- "The Verdict: Critics Review Matthew Lopez's 'The Legend of Georgia McBride' " Playbill, September 10, 2015
- Horwitz, Barry. " The Legend of Georgia McBride Ties a Bow on Drag, at Marin Theatre, Mill Valley" theatrius.com, June 23, 2017
- "Marin Theatre Company".
- Zinman, Toby. "Arden Theatre Company presents Matthew Lopez’s The Legend of Georgia McBride" Broad Street Review, October 20, 2016
- Miller, Deb. "Review: The Legend of Georgia McBride at Arden Theatre Company in Philadelphia" dcmetrotheaterarts.com, October 20, 2016
- "Redwood Curtain Theatre". Redwood Curtain.
- Irwin, Jay. "BWW Review: ACT's Legend Of Georgia McBride Struts and Sashay's into Seattle" broadwayworld.com, June 16, 2017
- Shapiro, Milo."San Diego Theater Review: The Legend Of Georgia McBride (Cygnet Theatre Company)" stageandcinema.com, October 23, 2017
- "The Legend Of Georgia McBride". Retrieved August 10, 2019.
- "About" uptownplayers.org
- Churnin, Nancy. "'Tootsie' meets 'Kinky Boots' in The Legend of Georgia McBride from Uptown Players" Dallas News, December 2017
- " The Legend of Georgia McBride is Anything but a Drag at MVT" hittingthestage.org, November 18, 2017
- "Manoa Valley Theatre".
- Sasseville, Erika; Froelich, Jacob. The Legend of Georgia McBride aislesaytwincities.com, July 26, 2018
- Ruth-Brineger, Liz. Theatre Review: ‘The Legend of Georgia McBride’ at Round House Theatre" mdtheatreguide.com, June 14, 2018
- Sherrod, Alan. "Review: The Legend of Georgia McBride at Flying Anvil Theatre" artsknoxville.com, June 3, 2018
- "Georgia McBride". Los Altos Stage Company. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- Engelhardt, Joanne. "'Georgia' full of campy fun, but a bit of a drag" Mercury News, September 19, 2018
- "The Legend of Georgia McBride". B st. @ The Sofia. Retrieved 2018-11-15.
- Carnes, Jim. "Short review: The Legend of Georgia McBride News Review, November 22, 2018
- Wallace, Aaron. "BWW Review: It's Hamilton Month in Orlando, but Don't Sleep on The Legend Of Georgia McBride at Garden Theater" broadwayworld.com, January 24, 2019
-  vermontstage.org
- Brown, Alex. "Theater Review: The Legend of Georgia McBride, Vermont Stage" sevendaysvt.com, April 24, 2019
- "The Legend of Georgia McBride (DSE)". Staatstheater Nürnberg (in German). Retrieved 2020-02-03.
- The Legend of Georgia McBride Internet Off-Broadway database, accessed August 10, 2019
- "Steven Pasquale, Phylicia Rashad, and More Win 2016 Lucille Lortel Awards" theatermania.com, May 1, 2016
- " Shuffle Along, The Humans, and More Take Home 2016 Drama Desk Awards" theatermania.com. June 5, 2016
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.