From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Type of site
|Sports news, opinion, conversation, and engagement|
|Key people||Daniel Jeffrey & Benjamin Conkey (editors), Josh Elliott (weekend editor)|
The Roar is an Australian sports opinion website. It was established by brothers Zac and Zolton Zavos in late 2006. Initially, The Roar was a blog to host writing from their father, Spiro Zavos who was a rugby columnist with Fairfax Media at the time. It quickly developed into a site which combines expert sports opinion articles with edited fan articles.
In 2007, Zac Zavos formed the company Conversant Media Pty Ltd, which published The Roar as well as the culture site, Lost At E Minor - a site the brothers had been publishing since 2005. In December 2010, Network Ten became a minority investor.
The business was run from Newcastle, Australia during its formative years of 2008 to 2015, and was an early recipient of the Renew Newcastle office space program.
In June 2016, The Roar had 156 expert commentators. Each month The Roar publishes about 1,000 articles from experts and fans. The main sports covered by The Roar are rugby union, rugby league, AFL, cricket, and soccer. In 2016, Conversant Media was acquired in full by HT&E for $11.6m, being placed under the aegis of the Australian Radio Network. The Roar continued to grow under the new corporate ownership, with Zac Zavos becoming the CEO of Conversant Media.
During December of 2019, The Roar was sold by the Australian Radio Network to a startup called Athletes Voice. Athletes Voice expressed a desire to “modernise” the website.
- McGowan, Michael (8 August 2014). "Zac Zavos: From minor to roaring success". Newcastle Herald. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Stafford, Patrick. "Ten Network makes another digital investment in sports community The Roar". Smart Company. Retrieved 21 June 2016.
- Green, Penelope (26 October 2016). "Renew Newcastle graduate Conversant Media is acquired by APN Media for $11.6m". Newcastle Herald. Retrieved 7 February 2018.
- Mediaweek (27 November 2017). "Conversant Media's long journey from hobby project to a vital part of HT&E group". Mediaweek. Retrieved 7 February 2018.
- Gillezeau, Natasha (10 December 2019). "Australian Radio Network sells sports website The Roar". Australian Financial Review. Retrieved 30 July 2020.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.