From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|The Sublime And|
|Live album by |
Tim Berne's Science Friction
|Recorded||April 12, 2003 |
|Tim Berne chronology|
The Sublime And is a live album by saxophonist Tim Berne's Science Friction which was recorded in 2003 and originally released on Berne's Thirsty Ear label. The album was rereleased in 2007 on Berne's Screwgun Records compilation Mind Over Friction.
|All About Jazz|||
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
The AllMusic review awarded the album 4½ stars calling it "an exhilarating, moving, and very accessible concert, which will leave the listener much as it must have left the concertgoer: awestruck". The All About Jazz review said that "The Sublime And... is a strong addition to the Berne catalog, sure to be welcomed by fans. And for newcomers, it provides a nice entry point, displaying Berne's compositional and playing aesthetics with longtime musical cohorts". Writing in The Guardian, John Fordham called it "a remarkably accessible piece of uncompromising new music from undoubtedly the best group Tim Berne has ever led". Pitchfork's Chris Dahlen said "this is the strongest record he's made yet with an electric band-- and it's one of the fiercest and importantly, most inventive performances he's captured. The Sublime And is essential for anyone looking for exhilaratingly original jazz music." Writing in JazzTimes Mike Shanley stated "Whether Berne emits clipped, octave-jumping phrases or agonized wails, he's never anything short of spellbinding. Why, after more than two decades of albums, he hasn't been given greater recognition for his work is anyone's guess".
All compositions by Tim Berne except as indicated
- "Van Gundy's Retreat" - 10:43
- "The Shell Game" - 23:59
- "Mrs. Subliminal/Clownfinger" - 30:18
- "Smallfry" (Berne, Craig Taborn) - 6:17
- "Jalapeño Diplomacy/Traction" - 20:15
- "Stuckon U" - 19:14
- Tim Berne discography, accessed October 17, 2014
- Thirsty Ear catalog, accessed October 17, 2014
- Lynch, D., Allmusic Review accessed October 17, 2014
- Fitzell, S. P., The Sublime And Review All About Jazz, November 13, 2003
- Fordham, J., The Guardian Review, October 17, 2003
- Dahlen, Chris (October 19, 2003). "Tim Berne: The Sublime And". pitchfork.com. Retrieved October 17, 2014.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.). London: Penguin. p. 121. ISBN 978-0-14-103401-0.
- Shanley, M., JazzTimes Review, March 2004
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.