From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|The Woman for Joe|
|Directed by||George More O'Ferrall|
|Produced by||Leslie Parkyn|
|Written by||Neil Paterson|
|Music by||Malcolm Arnold|
|Edited by||Alfred Roome|
Group Film Productions Limited
|Distributed by||J. Arthur Rank Film Distributors (UK)|
|25 August 1955 (London) (UK)|
The Woman for Joe is a 1955 British drama film directed by George More O'Ferrall and starring Diane Cilento, George Baker, Jimmy Karoubi and David Kossoff. The screenplay concerns the owner of a circus sideshow and his prize attraction (a midget), who become romantically involved with the same woman. The film was made at Pinewood Studios.
Midget George Wilson pulls strings to obtain a job in the circus for Mary, a Hungarian lady he's fallen madly in love with. Mary is happy to have the job, singing to the lions, but although she likes George, her feelings for circus owner Joe Harrop are stronger. The jealousy and tensions caused affect the running of the circus.
- Diane Cilento as Mary
- George Baker as Joe Harrop
- Jimmy Karoubi as George Wilson
- David Kossoff as Max
- Violet Farebrother as Ma Gollatz
- Earl Cameron as Lemmie
- Sydney Tafler as Butch
- Alf Dean as Vendini
- Patrick Westwood as Freddie the Kid
- Derek Sydney as Harry the Spice
- Verna Gilmore as Princess Circassy
- Martin Miller as Iggy Pulitzer
- Meier Tzelniker as Sol Goldstein
- Miriam Karlin as Gladys
- Terence Longdon as Doctor at the Circus (uncredited)
- Arthur Lowe as George's Agent (uncredited)
- Philip Stainton as Sullivan
TV Guide wrote, "the highlight of this picture is the elaborate circus set, but this does little to benefit the unfolding of the plot, which is predictable"; while AllMovie noted "an excellent showcase for leading lady Diane Cilento (later better known as Mrs. Sean Connery)... What could have been an exercise in tawdriness is redeemed by the colorful camerawork of Georges Perinal."
- "The Woman for Joe". BFI.
- "Pinewood Studio". Archived from the original on 17 March 2013.
- "The Woman For Joe". TV Guide.
- "The Woman for Joe (1955) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast - AllMovie". AllMovie.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.