From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|The Word from Mose|
|Studio album by|
|Released||March 10, 1964|
|Mose Allison chronology|
The Word from Mose is a 1964 jazz album by the jazz pianist and singer Mose Allison. The album, described by Allmusic as "light, swinging jazz with a distinctly rural, Southern influence", has been listed as one of the "core collection" albums for jazz fans by the Penguin Guide to Jazz. Originally released on Atlantic Records 1424, the album was released on CD by WEA International in 2000 and subsequently by Rhino in 2001 and 2005.
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
At the time of its release, Stereo Review dubbed it "one of Mose's best recordings", praising it as "one of his most consistently intriguing albums". Much later, Allmusic reviewer Eugene Chadborne noted that some of the songs do not rise to the level of quality of others, but overall praised Allison's reworking "material from the real country blues heritage...into his own style, to brilliant effect", calling out specifically the track "New Parchman" as "a performance that only the most hardened individual would be able to listen to without a smile cracking their face". The Penguin Guide to Jazz includes the album as part of its recommended "core collection" for fans of jazz music.
- Unless otherwise specified, all songs composed by Mose Allison
- "Foolkiller" – 2:25
- "One of These Days" – 3:02
- "Look Here" – 2:12
- "Days Like This" – 2:51
- "Your Red Wagon" (DePaul, Jones, Raye) – 2:14
- "Wild Man" (Everett Barksdale, Stanley Willis) – 1:58
- "Rollin' Stone" (Muddy Waters) – 2:58
- "New Parchman" – 3:04
- "Don't Forget to Smile" – 2:48
- "I'm Not Talking" – 2:30
- "Lost Mind" (Percy Mayfield) – 4:08
- Ertegun, Ahmet M.; Greil Marcus (2001). "What'd I say?": the Atlantic story : 50 years of music. Welcome Rain Publishers. p. 534. ISBN 978-1-56649-048-1.
- University of Mississippi. Center for the Study of Southern Culture (1998). Living Blues. Center for the Study of Southern Culture, The University of Mississippi. p. 102.
- Chadborne, Eugene. Review at AllMusic. Retrieved March 21, 2012.
- Cook, Richard; Brian Morton (2008) . The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings. The Penguin Guide to Jazz (9th ed.). New York: Penguin. pp. 26–27. ISBN 978-0-14-103401-0. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Stereo Review. Ziff-Davis Pub. Co. 1964. p. 149. Retrieved March 21, 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.