From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Born||July 15, 1946|
Brooklyn, New York, United States
|Occupation(s)||Musician, composer, producer, author, astrologer|
He served as drummer in the 440th U.S. Army band. He left the US Army in 1969. In the 1970s, he lived in Canada and New York City. He played in Pharoah Sanders' band. In 1978, he recorded his first album, on the India Navigation label: Rendezvous with Now. In 1984, he moved to Schenectady. He plays in the Tisziji Muñoz Quartet with other jazz musicians, including the Late Show with David Letterman musical director Paul Shaffer. Along with other musicians, he performed at the 150th anniversary of the Steinway & Sons piano company, at Carnegie Hall, in 2003.
He uses a single-line playing style, due to a childhood wrist injury.
Shaffer, in his autobiography We'll Be Here For the Rest of Our Lives, describes Muñoz as a mentor and inspiration for his musical career.
- Rendezvous with Now (India Navigation, 1978)
- Visiting This Planet (Anami, 1988)
- Spirit Man (1995)
- Death Is a Friend of Mine (1996)
- River of Blood (Anami, 1997)
- Spirit World (Anami, 1997)
- Love Everlasting with Bob Moses (Amulet, 1999)
- Alpha Nebula: The Prophecies (Anami, 1999)
- Great Sacrifice (1999)
- Presence of Joy (1999)
- Presence of Truth (1999)
- Auspicious Healing! (Anami, 2000)
- Breaking the Wheel of Life and Death (2000)
- The Hu-Man Spirit (2000)
- Presence of Mastery (Anami, 2000)
- Divine Radiance (Dreyfus/Anami, 2003)
- Divine Radiance Live (Anami, 2013)
- Beauty as Beauty with John Medeski (Anami, 2013)
- Beauty as Ugly with John Medeski (Anami, 2013)
- Ugly as Ugliest (Anami, 2013)
- Parasamgate Nebula: The Death of Death (Anami, 2013)
- Omega Nebula: The Afterlife (Anami, 2014)
- Mountain Peak (Anami, 2014)
- Sky Worlds (MRI, 2014)
- Beautiful Empty Fullness with Marilyn Crispell (Anami, 2014)
- The Paradox of Independence with Marilyn Crispell (Anami, 2014)
- Realization of Paradox (Anami, 2014)
- Taking You Out There! Live with Paul Shaffer (Anami, 2014)
- Songs of Soundlessness (Anami, 2015)
- Spirit First and Last (Anami, 2015)
- The Paradox of Perfection (Anami, 2015)
- The Paradox of Friendship (Anami, 2015)
- Tathagata Guitar (Anami, 2015)
- Alpha Nebula Expanded: The Monster Peace (Anami, 2015)
- Drop Dead (Anami, 2015)
- Creating Silence with John Medeski (Anami, 2015)
- When Coltrane Calls! Session 1: Fierce Compassion with John Medeski (Anami, 2016)
- When Coltrane Calls! Session 2: Liberation First with John Medeski (Anami, 2016)
- When Coltrane Calls! Session 3: Living Immortality with John Medeski (Anami, 2016)
- Atoms of Supersoul (Anami, 2016)
- Scream of Ensoundment (Anami, 2017)
- "a m u l e t : : r e c o r d s". Amuletrecords.com. Retrieved 8 June 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 5, 2009. Retrieved May 16, 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 28, 2011. Retrieved May 16, 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The S.L.ED by Karl Lagerfeld". Steinway & Sons. Retrieved August 25, 2011.
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (28 June 2003). "Billboard". Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 8 June 2016 – via Google Books.
- We'll Be Here For the Rest of Our Lives: A Swingin' Showbiz Saga, Paul Shaffer, Doubleday/Flying Dolphin Press (2009), ISBN 978-0-385-52483-4. pages 90-92, 93-94, 100, 111, 121-122
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.