From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Location||101 Layton Road, Wantage, New Jersey, United States|
|Coordinates||41.239545 N, 74.595977 W|
|First vines planted||2002|
|Opened to the public||2008|
|Key people||Gene & Anne Ventimiglia, Anthony & Myla Ventimiglia (owners)|
|Other attractions||Picnicking permitted, pet-friendly|
|Distribution||On-site, wine festivals, NJ farmers' markets, NJ liquor stores, NJ restaurants, home shipment|
|Tasting||Tastings and tours on weekends|
Ventimiglia Vineyard is a winery in Wantage Township in Sussex County, New Jersey. The vineyard was first planted in 2002, and opened to the public in 2008. Ventimiglia has 5 acres of grapes under cultivation, and produces 1,000 cases of wine per year. The winery is named after the family that owns it.
Ventimiglia Vineyard produces wine from Cabernet Franc, Carignan, Cayuga White, Chambourcin, Chardonnay, Chenin blanc, Concord, Durif (Petite Sirah), Frontenac gris, Grenache, La Crescent, Merlot, Pinot noir, Sangiovese, Seyval blanc, Sumoll, Syrah, Traminette, Vidal blanc, and Zinfandel grapes. It is the only winery in New Jersey that produces wine from Carignan, Frontenac gris, La Crescent, and Sumoll – Frontenac gris and La Crescent are white hybrid grapes developed in Minnesota, whereas the other two varietals are red vinifera grapes indigenous to Spain. The winery was a participant at the Judgment of Princeton, a wine tasting organized by the American Association of Wine Economists that compared New Jersey wines to premium French vintages. Ventimiglia is not located in one of New Jersey's three viticultural areas.
The winery advocates artisanal winemaking techniques, and produces its wines in small batches and then ages them in oak barrels. Ventimiglia has a farm winery license from the New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control, which allows it to produce up to 50,000 gallons of wine per year, operate up to 15 off-premises sales rooms, and ship up to 12 cases per year to consumers in-state or out-of-state. The winery is a member of the Garden State Wine Growers Association and its subsidiary, Vintage North Jersey.
- Vintage North Jersey. "Our Wineries - Ventimiglia Vineyard." Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Tarrazi, Alexis. "Local grapes Sample a taste from the only farm winery in Sussex County" in The Sparta Independent (26 June 2013). Retrieved 21 September 2013.
- Auteri, Stephanie. "Ultimate NJ wine tour" in Inside Jersey (published by The Star-Ledger) (12 August 2010). Retrieved 21 April 2013.
- Westrich, Sal. New Jersey Wine: A Remarkable History. (Charleston, SC: The History Press, 2012). ISBN 9781609491833.
- Sullivan, Kathy. "Ventimiglia Vineyard" on Wine Trail Traveler (blog) (3 July 2011). Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Capuzzo, Jill P. "Ready for Prime Time?" in New Jersey Monthly (13 February 2012). Retrieved 26 March 2013.
- Klimek, Tracy. "Ventimiglia Winery's Wine and Chocolate Tasting" in The New Jersey Herald (4 February 2012). Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- Ventimiglia Vineyard. Ventimiglia Vineyards - Our Wines (commercial website). Retrieved 6 October 2013.
- Finger Lakes International Wine Competition. "2013 Results" (24 March 2013). Retrieved 19 July 2013.
- University of Minnesota. "Welcome to the University of Minnesota Grape website" (academic website). 23 August 2013.
- "Wine grapes" on Vinohispania (blog) (1 February 2013). Retrieved 23 August 2013. A review of the wines made by New Jersey's 46 wineries found no other establishment using Carnigan, Frontenac gris, La Crescent, or Sumoll grapes.
- Storchmann, Karl. "The Judgment of Princeton" on The American Association of Wine Economists (academic website) (11 June 2012). Retrieved 9 April 2013.
- Scott, Leslie. "Riverdale hosts farmer's market" in The Bergen Record (2 July 2012). Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Jackson, Bart. Garden State Wineries Guide. (South San Francisco, CA: Wine Appreciation Guild, 2011). ISBN 9781934259573.
- Fujimori, Sachi. "Small-batch wines, homemade granola paired at farmers' market in Riverdale" in The Bergen Record (25 August 2010). Retrieved 22 September 2013.
- New Jersey Division of Alcoholic Beverage Control. "New Jersey ABC list of wineries, breweries, and distilleries" (5 February 2013). Retrieved 23 August 2013.
- New Jersey General Assembly. "N.J.S.A. 33:1-10". Statutes of New Jersey. New Jersey.
- Garden State Wine Growers Association. "GSWGA Wineries." Archived 2013-06-21 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 22 March 2013.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.