From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Type||American Viticultural Area|
|Part of||New Jersey|
|Total area||144,640 acres (58,534 ha)|
|Size of planted vineyards||100 acres (40 ha)|
|No. of wineries||5|
The Warren Hills AVA is an American Viticultural Area located in Warren County, New Jersey. The Warren Hills region includes several small valleys formed by tributaries of the Delaware River. The valleys drain from northeast to southwest, and most vineyards in the area are planted on southeast-facing hill slopes. The region is primarily planted with French hybrid grapes. It has a humid continental climate and is located in hardiness zones 6b and 6a.
The Warren Hills AVA is exclusively in Warren County, and consists of most of the county, excluding the northwesternmost portion bordering Sussex County. The Federal Register describes the boundaries of the Warren Hills AVA as having the following boundaries:
(1) The beginning point of the following boundary description is the junction of the Delaware River and the Musconetcong River, at the southern tip of Warren County. (2) From the beginning point, the boundary goes northeastward along the Musconetcong River about 32 miles to the point where it intersects the Warren County-Sussex County line. (3) Then northwestward along that county line for about 10 miles to Paulins Kill. (4) Then generally southwestward along Paulins Kill to the Delaware River. (4) Then generally south-southwestward along the Delaware River to the beginning point.
- 27 CFR 9.121 Warren Hills.
- Wine Institute, The (2008). "American Viticultural Areas by State". Retrieved Feb. 5, 2008.
- Appellation America (2007). "Warren Hills (AVA): Appellation Description". Retrieved Feb. 5, 2008.
- Jackson, Bart. Garden State Wineries Guide. (South San Francisco, CA: Wine Appreciation Guild, 2011). ISBN 9781934259573.
- Alcohol laws of New Jersey
- Cape May Peninsula AVA
- Central Delaware Valley AVA
- Garden State Wine Growers Association
- Judgment of Princeton
- List of wineries, breweries, and distilleries in New Jersey
- New Jersey Farm Winery Act
- New Jersey wine
- New Jersey Wine Industry Advisory Council
- Outer Coastal Plain AVA
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.