From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Directed by||Jacques Tourneur|
|Produced by||Walter Mirisch|
|Screenplay by||Daniel B. Ullman|
|Story by||Daniel B. Ullman|
|Music by||Hans J. Salter|
|Edited by||William Austin|
Allied Artists Pictures
|Distributed by||Allied Artists Pictures|
|Box office||$2.4 million (US)|
Wichita is a 1955 American CinemaScope Technicolor Western film directed by Jacques Tourneur and starring Joel McCrea as Wyatt Earp. The film won a Golden Globe Award for Best Outdoor Drama. The supporting cast features Vera Miles, Lloyd Bridges, Edgar Buchanan, Peter Graves, Jack Elam and Mae Clarke. The film's premiere was held in Wichita, Kansas, at The Wichita Theatre, 310 East Douglas, with the stars in attendance. Vera Miles had been Miss Kansas in 1948 and was third runner up in the Miss America pageant. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association awarded the film with "Best Picture - Outdoor Drama" in 1955.
Former bison hunter and entrepreneur Wyatt Earp (Joel McCrea) arrives in the lawless cattle town of Wichita, Kansas. His skills as a gunfighter make him a perfect candidate for marshal but he refuses the job until he feels morally obligated to bring law and order to this wild town. As with the later film Warlock in 1959, the lawman comes in conflict with his sponsors. His least popular move is to take away the guns of everyone in town, no matter how important. Only when town banker Sam McCoy (Walter Coy) is hit with a personal tragedy does Earp's no-guns edict begin to make sense.
- Joel McCrea as Wyatt Earp
- Vera Miles as Laurie McCoy
- Lloyd Bridges as Gyp Clements
- Wallace Ford as Arthur Whiteside
- Edgar Buchanan as Doc Black
- Peter Graves as Morgan Earp
- Keith Larsen as Bat Masterson
- Carl Benton Reid as Mayor Andrew Hoke
- John Smith as Jim Earp
- Walter Coy as Sam McCoy
- Robert J. Wilke as Ben Thompson (as Robert Wilke)
- Jack Elam as Al
- Mae Clarke as Mrs. McCoy
- Walter Sande as Clint Wallace
- 'The Top Box-Office Hits of 1955', Variety Weekly, January 25, 1956
- Fujiwara, Chris (2013). Jacques Tourneur: The Cinema of Nightfall. McFarland. Page 308. ISBN 9781476608112.
- "Wichita (1955) - Jacques Tourneur - Synopsis, Characteristics, Moods, Themes and Related - AllMovie". AllMovie.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.