From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Within the Law|
|Directed by||Gustav Machatý|
|Produced by||Lou L. Ostrow|
|Screenplay by||Charles Lederer|
|Music by||William Axt|
|Cinematography||Charles Lawton Jr.|
|Edited by||George Boemler|
Within the Law is a 1939 American (Precursor) Film noir crime film directed by Gustav Machatý and written by Charles Lederer and Edith Fitzgerald. The film stars Ruth Hussey, Tom Neal, Paul Kelly, William Gargan, Paul Cavanagh and Rita Johnson. The film was released on March 17, 1939, by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
Mary Turner gets arrested for a robbery she didn't commit, while in prison she studies law. After being released, she partners with another woman in order to legally scam wealthy men.
- Ruth Hussey as Mary Turner
- Tom Neal as Richard Gilder
- Paul Kelly as Joe Garson
- William Gargan as Cassidy
- Paul Cavanagh as English Eddie
- Rita Johnson as Agnes
- Samuel S. Hinds as Mr. Gilder
- Lynne Carver as June
- Sidney Blackmer as George Demarest
- Jo Ann Sayers as Helen Morris
- Ann Morriss as Saleswoman
- James Burke as 'Red'
- Don Douglas as Inspector Burke
- Cliff Clark as McGuire
- Claude King as Art Dealer
- Frank Orth as Jim Jenks
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.