|Manual Edition||Release date||Description|
|1st Edition||Nov. 3, 1971||First edition of the Unix manual, based on the version that ran on the PDP-11 at the time. Includes the Thompson shell, mail, cp, and su. The operating system was two years old, having been ported from the PDP-7 to the PDP-11/20 in 1970.|
|2nd Edition||Jun. 12, 1972||Total number of installations at the time was 10, "with more expected", according to the preface of the manual.:ii Includes echo and the first C compiler.|
|3rd Edition||Feb. 1973||Introduced the C programming language, pipes, crypt, and yacc. Commands are split between |
|4th Edition||Nov. 1973||First version written in C. Also introduced groups, grep, and printf. Number of installations was listed as "above 20". The manual was formatted with troff for the first time. Version described in Thompson and Ritchie's CACM paper, the first public exposition of the operating system.|
|5th Edition||Jun. 1974||Widely licensed to educational institutions. Introduced find, dd, and the sticky bit. Targeted the PDP-11/40 and other 11 models with 18 bit addresses. Installations "above 50".|
|6th Edition||May 1975||Includes ratfor and bc. First version to be also licensed to commercial users, and to be ported to non-PDP hardware. May 1977 saw the release of MINI-UNIX, a "cut down" v6 for the low-end PDP-11/10.|
|7th Edition||Jan. 1979||Includes the Bourne shell, cpio, sed, ioctl, awk, f77, spell, and stdio. The ancestor of all modern UNIX systems and the last release of Research Unix to see widespread external distributions. Merged most of the utilities of PWB/UNIX with an extensively modified kernel with almost 80% more lines of code than V6. In February, a port called 32V was made to DEC's VAX hardware; 32V was the basis for 4BSD.|
|8th Edition||Feb. 1985[来源请求]||A modified 4.1cBSD for the VAX, with a System V shell and sockets replaced by Streams. Used internally, and only licensed for educational use. The Blit graphics terminal became the primary user interface. Added a network filesystem that allowed accessing remote computers' files as |
|9th Edition||Sep. 1986||Incorporated code from 4.3BSD; used internally. Featured a generalized version of the Streams IPC mechanism introduced in V8. The mount system call was extended to connect a stream to a file, the other end of which could be connected to a (user-level) program. This mechanism was used to implement network connection code in userspace. Other innovations include make and Sam. According to Dennis Ritchie, V9 and V10 were "conceptual": manuals existed, but no OS distributions "in complete and coherent form".|
|10th Edition||Oct. 1989||Last Research Unix. Although the manual was published outside of AT&T by Saunders College Publishing, there was no full distribution of the system itself. Novelties included graphics typesetting tools designed to work with troff, a C interpreter, animation programs, and several tools later found in Plan 9: the Mk build tool and the rc shell. V10 was also the basis for Doug McIlroy and James A. Reeds' multilevel-secure operating system IX.|
- McIlroy, M. D. A Research Unix reader: annotated excerpts from the Programmer's Manual, 1971–1986 (PDF) (Technical report). CSTR. Bell Labs. 1987 [2015-06-01]. 139. （原始内容存档 (PDF)于2019-11-30）. 引用错误：带有name属性“reader”的
- Thompson, Ken; Ritchie, Dennis M. UNIX Programmer's Manual, Second Edition (PDF). Bell Telephone Laboratories. 1972-06-12 [2015-06-01]. （原始内容 (PDF)存档于2016-10-06）.
- Ritchie, D. M.; Thompson, K. The UNIX Time-Sharing System. CACM. 1974, 17 (7): 365–375 [2015-06-01]. （原始内容存档于2005-12-30）.
- Fiedler, Ryan. The Unix Tutorial / Part 3: Unix in the Microcomputer Marketplace. BYTE. October 1983: 132 [2015-01-30].
- Dennis Ritchie. [TUHS] Re: V7 UNIX on VAX 11/750. 2003-06-27 [2014-04-09]. （原始内容存档于2014-06-20）.
- Henry Spencer. regexp(3). Newsgroup: mod.sources. 1986-01-19 [2013-01-09]. Usenet: 1316@panda.UUCP. （原始内容存档于2011-01-22）.
- David L. Presotto; Dennis M. Ritchie. Interprocess Communication in the Ninth Edition Unix System. Software—Practice and Experience. 1990, 19 [2015-06-01]. （原始内容存档于2015-02-03）.
- Unix Tenth Edition Manual. Bell Labs. [2013-12-25]. （原始内容存档于2015-02-03）.
- The IX Multilevel-Secure UNIX System. [2015-06-01]. （原始内容存档于2015-09-23）.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.