From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Coat of arms
|• Total||2.49 km2 (0.96 sq mi)|
|Elevation||400 m (1,300 ft)|
|• Density||1,500/km2 (3,800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (Central European Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (Central European Summer Time)|
|Surrounded by||Büsingen am Hochrhein (DE-BW), Flurlingen, Laufen-Uhwiesen, Schlatt (TG), Schaffhausen (SH)|
Feuerthalen is first mentioned in 876 as Langewisa. In 1318 it was mentioned as Fuirtal an dem Rine.
Feuerthalen has an area of 2.5 km2 (0.97 sq mi). Of this area, 16.1% is used for agricultural purposes, while 43.8% is forested. Of the rest of the land, 38.6% is settled (buildings or roads) and the remainder (1.6%) is non-productive (rivers, glaciers or mountains).
It is located on the left bank of the Rhine and provided the bridgehead on that side of the river for the city of Schaffhausen. It includes the village of Langwiesen which in turn shares an international border with the municipality of Büsingen am Hochrhein which is an exclave of Germany, entirely surrounded by Swiss territory.
Feuerthalen has a population (as of 31 December 2019) of 3,614. As of 2007[update], 19.4% of the population was made up of foreign nationals. Over the last 10 years the population has grown at a rate of 24%. Most of the population (as of 2000[update]) speaks German (91.2%), with Italian being second most common ( 3.0%) and Albanian being third ( 1.3%).
The age distribution of the population (as of 2000[update]) is children and teenagers (0–19 years old) make up 20.9% of the population, while adults (20–64 years old) make up 60.2% and seniors (over 64 years old) make up 19%. About 76.2% of the population (between age 25-64) have completed either non-mandatory upper secondary education or additional higher education (either university or a Fachhochschule).
Feuerthalen has an unemployment rate of 2.13%. As of 2005[update], there were 12 people employed in the primary economic sector and about 1 businesses involved in this sector. 370 people are employed in the secondary sector and there are 33 businesses in this sector. 625 people are employed in the tertiary sector, with 83 businesses in this sector. The historical population is given in the following table:
- "Arealstatistik Standard - Gemeinden nach 4 Hauptbereichen". Federal Statistical Office. Retrieved 13 January 2019.
- "Ständige Wohnbevölkerung nach Staatsangehörigkeitskategorie Geschlecht und Gemeinde; Provisorische Jahresergebnisse; 2018". Federal Statistical Office. 9 April 2019. Retrieved 11 April 2019.
- Feuerthalen in German, French and Italian in the online Historical Dictionary of Switzerland.
- Swiss Federal Statistical Office Archived January 5, 2016, at the Wayback Machine accessed 27-Jul-2009
- "Ständige und nichtständige Wohnbevölkerung nach institutionellen Gliederungen, Geburtsort und Staatsangehörigkeit". bfs.admin.ch (in German). Swiss Federal Statistical Office - STAT-TAB. 31 December 2019. Retrieved 6 October 2020.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.