From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Detroit Tigers – No. 65|
|Born: February 11, 1995|
Haina, Dominican Republic
|May 11, 2019, for the Detroit Tigers|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2020 season)
|Earned run average||5.36|
Soto signed with the Detroit Tigers as an international free agent in December 2012. He made his professional debut in 2013 with the Dominican Summer League Tigers, pitching to a 1-2 record and 4.82 ERA in 16 games (12 starts), and returned there in 2014 where he improved, going 5–3 with a 3.20 ERA in 16 games (ten starts). He spent 2015 with the Gulf Coast Tigers and Connecticut Tigers, posting a combined 2–5 record and 3.23 ERA with 45 strikeouts in 39 total innings between the two teams, and 2016 with Connecticut where he was 3–2 with a 3.03 ERA and 1.43 WHIP in 15 starts.
Soto started 2017 with the West Michigan Whitecaps and was promoted to the Lakeland Flying Tigers during the season. After going 12–2 with a 2.25 ERA and 144 strikeouts between the two teams, he was named the Tigers minor league pitcher of the year.
The Tigers added him to their 40-man roster after the 2017 season.
He spent the 2018 season with Lakeland, going 8–8 with a 4.45 ERA in 113 innings. On January 11, 2019, Soto was suspended for 20 games by Major League Baseball for “conduct detrimental to baseball" under Article XII(B). The suspension started on opening day. He was activated on April 20 and optioned to Lakeland, appearing in one game before being promoted to the Erie SeaWolves.
Soto made his major league debut on May 11, 2019, against the Minnesota Twins, starting the second game of a doubleheader as the 26th man. Soto made the Tigers roster out of 2020 summer camp. On August 29, 2020, he earned his first career save against the Minnesota Twins.
- Lambert, Ivan. "Soto named Tigers minor league pitcher of the year - Sports - The Ledger - Lakeland, FL". The Ledger. Retrieved November 7, 2017.
- "Stewart, Soto earn Tigers' top minor-league honors". The Detroit News. September 27, 2017. Retrieved November 7, 2017.
- "Christin Stewart, Gregory Soto awarded Detroit Tigers minor league honors". Detroit Free Press. September 27, 2017. Retrieved November 7, 2017.
- Woodbery, Evan (November 21, 2017). "Tigers add 8 young players to 40-man roster". mlive.com. Retrieved May 9, 2019.
- "Detroit Tigers prospect Gregory Soto suspended 20 games by MLB". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved 2019-02-23.
- "Tigers' Gregory Soto: Heads to High-A". CBS Sports. April 20, 2019. Retrieved May 9, 2019.
- Paul, Tony (May 9, 2019). "Tigers lefty prospect Gregory Soto being promoted from Erie, starts Saturday". The Detroit News. Retrieved May 11, 2019.
- Beck, Jason (August 29, 2020). "Something old, new lead Tigers in DH sweep". MLB.com. Retrieved August 31, 2020.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.