From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Studio album by|
|Released||August 19, 2003|
|Recorded||September 27–29, 2002|
|Studio||Mix One Studios, Boston, MA|
|Label||Artists House AH 006|
|Kenny Wheeler chronology|
|Bob Brookmeyer chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
The Allmusic review by Thom Jurek awarded the album 41⁄2 stars stating: "the quintet creates a series of expansive yet pastoral jazz settings for the exploration at the margins without the edges. Make no mistake; aesthetically this is 'beautiful' and deeply moving music. The level of composition here is the heist, and the articulation of these tonal and harmonic architectures is flawless ... That this music is played with such grace, elegance, and aplomb makes it a gift to be cherished and studied".
All About Jazz correspondent Rex Butters commented: "Although they’ve not recorded together before, they set each other up and finish each other’s thoughts like a long married couple. The island in question seems more north Atlantic than Caribbean. While the program tends toward moody mid-tempo tunes, the high level of playing keeps monotony at bay ... The Brookmeyer/Wheeler collaboration shows two long time players apparently still in ascent".
All compositions by Kenny Wheeler unless otherwise noted
- "Before the First Time" - 7:56
- "114" - 7:29
- "Where Do We Go From Here?" - 7:45
- "Song for Kenny" (Brookmeyer) - 9:43
- "Upstairs with Beatrice" (Brookmeyer) - 7:22
- "Island" (Brookmeyer) - 9:46
- "Strange One" - 5:40
- Kenny Wheeler discography, accessed January 10, 2018
- Jurek, Thom. Bob Brookmeyer – Island: Review at AllMusic. Retrieved January 10, 2018.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 174. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- Butters, R. All About Jazz Review, January 7, 2004
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.