From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Born||1987 (age 35)|
|Education||Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design|
|Known for||Photography, Film, Installation, Drawing, Neon, Sculpture|
Michal Martychowiec (born 1987) is a contemporary artist. He creates conceptual series of photographs, films, drawings, neons, objects, and mix-media installations and environments. He was awarded Distinction in MA Fine Art from Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London. He is a visiting lecturer at the Russian Institute of History of Art (Russian Academy of Sciences) in St. Petersburg and China Academy of Art in Hangzhou. He lives in Berlin.
Martychowiec’s oeuvre consists of mixed media practice designed in larger series. It is thus always developed hermeneutically around an expanded topic. A new field of his invention is also recreation of avatars and other personas.
Through this practice, characterized by the diversity of the media used, Martychowiec aims to explore the condition and the possibilities of contemporary human existence. His thinking revolves around history, invention and autopoiesis of historical narratives and thus also exploration and occasionally comical recomposition of cultural symbols and archetypes.
Furthermore, Martychowiec merges artistic and curatorial practices through a twofold arrangement of his oeuvre. At first, he develops projects as individual narratives within a certain field of inquiry. At the same time, these projects inform one another and their elements can be reenacted and incorporated, through a curatorial activity, into later works, where they acquire symbolic qualities.
Martychowiec’s inventions are based primarily on Occidental and Oriental philosophy, anthropology, art and cultural history, universal historical reflections, the history of religion, literature, archeology and, of course, our contemporary culture and communication analysis.
- La Chambre de Labastrie at gallerie upp in Venice Wall Street International
- The urge to create visions 1929-2017 at Polish Sculpture Center Gazeta Wyborcza
- Michal Martychowiec In memory Centre for Contemporary Art Ujazdowski Castle
- Michal Martychowiec Nel mezzo del cammin galleria upp, Venice 2011. ISBN 9788890610660.
- Central Saint Martins graduates artdaily.org
- Michal Martychowiec at de Sarthe Gallery
- Michal Martychowiec 'What does it mean to be a classic' Russian Institute of History of Art
- Polish Sculpture Center The urge to create visions 1929-2017. Oronsko, 2017. ISBN 9788364653131.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.