From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Died||1990 (aged 53)|
Born as Maria Carydias in Alexandria, Egypt. Gamal first began dancing as a part of her mother's cabaret act. Trained in piano as well as several kinds of dance such as ballet and tap, Gamal initially performed European folk dances in her mother's act. When she was 14, an ill dancer in her mother's troupe gave her the opportunity to dance raqs sharqi in Lebanon, which her father had forbidden her to do because of her youth. After this debut, she became a popular dancer and went on to star in many Egyptian films.
In 1953, she dated Indian movie star Shammi Kapoor after they met in Sri Lanka, but she moved back to Cairo. She did perform in a number of Indian movies too.
In 1968, Gamal became the first raqs sharqi dancer to perform at the Baalbeck International Festival. She also appeared at the Cairo Opera House and danced for King Hussein and the Shah of Iran. Gamal toured Asia, the Middle East, Europe, Latin America and North America during her career. In 1978 and 1981 she briefly taught dance workshops in New York City. Later in her career, Gamal started a school of dance.
She influenced many dancers such as Ibrahim Farrah, Suhaila Salimpour, and Claire Naffa.
- Prem Pujari (1970)
- Bazi-e eshgh (1968)
- Bazy-e-shance (1968)
- Mawal al akdam al zahabiya (1966)
- Twenty-Four Hours to Kill (1965)
- Garo (1965)
- Layali al chark (1965)
- Zenubba (1956)
- Grass, Randall (2009). "Nadia Gamal: The Oriental Dance Diva". Great spirits: portraits of life-changing world music artists. University Press of Mississippi. pp. 201–223. ISBN 978-1-60473-240-5. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- Sharif, Keti (2005). Bellydance: A Guide to Middle Eastern Dance, Its Music, Its Culture and Costume. Allen & Unwin. pp. 97–98. ISBN 1-74114-376-4. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- Ramona (2007). Dynamic Belly Dance: The Joyful Journey of Dancemaking and Performing. ABI. p. 152. ISBN 978-0-615-13326-3.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.