From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Formed||July 8, 1952|
|Jurisdiction||Government of Pakistan|
|Annual budget||See (2014 Federal Budget)|
The Planning Commission (denoted as PC) is a financial and public policy development institution of the Government of Pakistan. The Commission comes under Ministry of Planning, Development and Reforms. The Planning Commission undertakes research studies and state policy development initiatives for the growth of national economy and the expansion of the public and state infrastructure of the country in tandem with the Ministry of Finance (MoF).
Since 1952, the commission have had a major influence and role in formulating the highly centralized and planned five-year plans for the national economy, for most of the 20th century in Pakistan. Although the five-year plans were replaced by Medium Term Development Framework, the commission still played an influential and central role in the development of the programme. Furthermore, the Public Sector Development Programmes (PSDP) also placed under the domain of the planning commission. The commission's authoritative figures includes a Chairman who is the Prime Minister, assisted by the deputy chairman, and a science advisor.
Other officials of the commissions includes Planning and Development Secretary of Pakistan; chief economist; Director of the Pakistan Institute of Development Economics; Executive Director of Policy Implementation and Monitoring (PIM); and members for Social Sectors, Science and Technology, Energy, Infrastructure, and Food and Agriculture.
As of 2019[update], the Chairman is Prime Minister of Pakistan, Mr. Imran Khan and the current Deputy Chairman is Dr. Mohammad Jehanzeb Khan, a senior ranking officer of the Pakistan Administrative Service.
Finally, in 1953, Prime minister Khawaja Nazimuddin decided to give commission to an institution that was set up on 18 July 1953. Ultimately, Zahid Hussain, former Governor of State Bank of Pakistan was appointed its first deputy chairman and two other members.
This is the list of the former deputy chairmen of the planning commission of Pakistan.
- Zahid Hussain, 1953 – 1958
- G. Ahmed, 1958 – 1959
- Mumtaz Hassan Khan, 1959 – 1961
- Said Hasan, 1962 – 1966
- M. M. Ahmad, 1967 to 1969
- M. H. Soofi, 1969 to 1970
- Mahboob Ullah Rashid, 1970 – 1971
- Qamar ul Islam, 1971 – 1973
- Prof. Khurshid Ahmad, 30-08-1978 to 21-04-1979
- Mahbub ul Haq, 07-03-1982 to 13-04-1983
- V. A. Jafary, 22-09-1985 to 10-07-1986
- A G N Kazi, 10-07-1986 to 23-08-1993
- Saeed Ahmed Qureshi, 24-08-1993 to 30-06-1994
- Qazi M. Alimullah, 01-07-1994 to 05-11-1996
- Dr. Hafiz Pasha, 12-11-1996 to 12-08-1998
- Ahsan Iqbal, 13-08-1998 to 12-10-1999
- Dr. Shahid Amjad, 27-07-2000 to 08-08-2003
- Engr. Dr. M. Akram Sheikh, 15-03-2004 to 07-05-2008
- M. Salman Faruqui, 09-05-2008 to 28-11-2008
- Sardar Assef Ahmed Ali, 29-11-2008 to 13-01-2010
- Dr. Ishfaq Ahmad, 15-01-2010 to 31-04-2010
- Dr. Nadeem ul Haque 01-05-2010 to 07-06-2013
- Ahsan Iqbal, 08-06-2013 to 28-07-2017
- Sartaj Aziz, 13-08-2017 to 31-05-2018
- Khusro Bakhtiar, 20-08-2018 to 01-08-2019
- Dr. Jehanzeb Khan, 01-08-2019 to present
Main article: Vision 2025
Vision 2025 Director: Dr Asif Chishti
- Integrated Energy
- Modernization of Infrastructure
- Institutionalreform and modernization of the public sector
- Value-addition in Commodity Producing Sectors
- Export promotion
- Water and food security
- Private sector-led growth and entrepreneurship
Main article: Pakistan Institute of Development Economics
Main article: Pakistan Planning and Management Institute
The Pakistan Planning and Management Institute (PPMI) is the one of the division of Planning Commission. The main objectives of PPMI are to improve technical and analytical skills and enhance expertise of the federal, provincial and district governments’ officers through training in areas of Project Management, Social development and application of Information Technology in Project management.
Main article: Federal Drought Emergency Relief Assistance
The function of DERA Unit is to facilitate the implementation of the project in the drought-hit areas of all the four provinces and coordinate activities carried out in the provinces to mitigate the effects of drought.
- Functions of Planning Commission[permanent dead link]
- Composition of Planning Commission
- "History of Planning Commission". Archived from the original on 2012-02-09. Retrieved 2009-01-08.
- "List of deputy chairmen of Planning Commission". Archived from the original on 2010-04-10. Retrieved 2009-01-08.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-01-06. Retrieved 2016-01-08.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-04-06. Retrieved 2014-07-22.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.