From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ryan Milton Rohm (born 22 December 1957, Gastonia, North Carolina) is an American string theorist. He is one of four physicists known as the Princeton string quartet, and is responsible for the development of heterotic string theory along with David Gross, Jeffrey A. Harvey and Emil Martinec, the other members of the Princeton String Quartet.
Rohm studied physics and mathematics at North Carolina State University (NCSU) with bachelor's degree in 1980 and received a Ph.D. in physics from Princeton University in 1985. He was a postdoc from 1985 to 1988 at Caltech. From 1988 to 1995 he was an assistant professor at Boston University. In 1997 he earned a master's degree in computer science at NCSU. Since 1998 he has worked on experimental neutrino physics in the KamLAND experiment and at the Triangle Universities Nuclear Laboratory (TUNL). Since 1997 he has also been an adjunct professor at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- with Edward Witten The antisymmetric tensor field in superstring theory, Annals of physics, vol. 170, 1986, pp. 454–489 doi:10.1016/0003-4916(86)90099-0
- with Michael Dine, Nathan Seiberg, Edward Witten Gluino condensation in superstring models, Physics Letters B, vol. 156, 1985, p. 55 doi:10.1016/0370-2693(85)91354-1
- with Gary Horowitz, Joseph Lykken, Andrew Strominger Purely cubic action for string field theory, Physical Review Letters, vol. 57, 1986, p. 283 doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.57.283
- Spontaneous supersymmetry breaking in supersymmetric string theories, Nuclear Physics B, vol. 237, 1984, p. 553 doi:10.1016/0550-3213(84)90007-5
- "String Theory, at 20, Explains It All (or Not)". NY Times. 2004.
- J. Polchinski (1998). String Theory. 2. p. 45. ISBN 9781139457415.
- Gross, Harvey, Martinec, Rohm Heterotic String, Phys. Rev. Lett. 54 (1985) 502 doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.54.502; the same authors for Heterotic Strings I. The Free Heterotic String, Nucl. Phys. B256 (1985) 253 doi:10.1016/0550-3213(85)90394-3; Heterotic Strings II. The Interacting Heterotic String Nucl. Phys. B267 (1986) 75 doi:10.1016/0550-3213(86)90146-X
- Ryan Rohm, People - NCSU
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.