From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||May 8, 2003|
|Studio||Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ|
|Houston Person chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
On All About Jazz, Jeff Stockton noted "Social Call is the mellow sound of the music as it used to be done. Even those who are indifferent to jazz, or even dislike jazz, can't help but enjoy this". In JazzTimes, David Franklin wrote: "Houston Person’s Social Call showcases breathy, subtone tenor. Indeed, beautiful melodies, lovingly caressed by Person’s sultry horn, constitute a generous portion of this recording. Slow tunes ... make up more than half the 11 tracks. Person treats them all with a lyrical sensitivity that allows the venerable melodies to speak for themselves". The Guardian selected it as their Jazz CD of the Week with Dave Gelly commenting "The whole thing is so agreeable that it's hard to pick bits out, but Person's firm, warm, unflappable ballad playing is a particular delight"
- "Social Call" (Gigi Gryce) – 5:25
- "If You Could See Me Now" (Tadd Dameron, Carl Sigman) – 5:42
- "Juicy Lucy" (Horace Silver) – 5:51
- "Evening Star" (Benny Carter) – 4:59
- "The End of a Love Affair" (E. C. Redding) – 5:12
- "Bewitched" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) – 4:39
- "I'll Let You Know" (Cedar Walton) – 4:46
- "Stolen Sweets" (Wild Bill Davis, Dan Thompson) – 5:09
- "Day Dream" (Billy Strayhorn, Duke Ellington, John La Touche) – 4:59
- "Easy Walker" (Teddi Lastion) – 4:48
- "Some Other Spring" (Arthur Herzog Jr., Irene Kitchings) – 4:42
- Jazz Depot: HighNote discography. Retrieved March 7, 2018
- Payne, D. Houston Person Discography. Retrieved March 7, 2018
- Enciclopedia del Jazz: Houston Person. Retrieved March 12, 2018
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 1149. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- Stockton, J. All About Jazz Review. Retrieved March 13, 2018
- Franklin, D. JazzTimes Review. Retrieved March 12, 2018
- Gelly, D. The Guardian Review. Retrieved March 12, 2018
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.