From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|The Opening Round|
|Studio album by|
|Released||July 1, 1997|
|Recorded||February 5, 1997|
|Studio||Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ|
|Houston Person chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
In his review on Allmusic, Stewart Mason states "A fun and personable mix of jazz and soul classics plus a couple of originals by guitarist Rodney Jones, Houston Person's The Opening Round: Groove Masters Series, Vol. 1 isn't a jazz album for the ages, but it's start-to-finish entertaining. It's a straight-up groove album, with Person in front of a four-piece organ combo". In JazzTimes, Stanley Dance wrote: "Person’s thick, unmannered tone, love of melody and swing, together give his music an odd sobriety that he seems compelled to relieve with fast flurries of notes".
- "Sweet Sucker" (Johnny Griffin) – 1:27
- "Let's Stay Together" (Al Green, Al Jackson Jr., Willie Mitchell) – 3:56
- "Can't Help Lovin' That Man" (Jerome Kern, Oscar Hammerstein II) – 4:06
- "What's Going On?" (Marvin Gaye, Renaldo Benson, Al Cleveland) – 2:32
- "When a Man Loves a Woman" (Calvin Lewis, Andrew Wright) – 3:41
- "Blue Spring" (Rodney Jones) – 4:35
- "Song for a Rainbow" (Jones) – 3:57
- "Shenandoah" (Traditional) – 4:55
- Jazz Depot: Savant discography accessed March 7, 2018
- Payne, D. Houston Person Discography accessed March 7, 2018
- Enciclopedia del Jazz: Houston Person accessed March 12, 2018
- Mason, Stewart. Houston Person – The Opening Round: Groove Masters Series, Vol. 1: Review at AllMusic. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 1149. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- Dance, S. JazzTimes Review, accessed March 7, 2018
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.