From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Studio album by|
|Recorded||July 13 & 16, 1957|
Coastal Studios, NYC
|Length||49:35 CD reissue with bonus tracks|
|Bob Brookmeyer chronology|
|The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings|||
The Allmusic review by Scott Yanow stated "While these selections have occasionally been revived by Dixieland and swing bands, Brookmeyer and his group use harmonies that were modern for the 1950s... Because the musicians have a respect for the older styles, they extend rather than break the tradition; the results are quite enjoyable". On All About Jazz, Jack Bowers stated "it’s good to hear Brookmeyer, one of a handful of masters on his axe, and especially the versatile Giuffre, whose more recent work lies in the realm of the avant–garde, playing sturdy straight–ahead Jazz with a well–defined kick".
- "Louisiana" (Andy Razaf, Bob Schafer, J. C. Johnson) - 5:26
- "Santa Claus Blues" (Charley Straight, Gus Kahn) - 5:42
- "Truckin'" (Rube Bloom, Ted Koehler) - 7:27 SpotifyRdio
- "Some Sweet Day" (Ed Rose, Tony Jackson, Abe Olman) - 4:46
- "Sweet Like This" (Dave Nelson, King Oliver) - 4:05
- "Don't Be That Way" (Benny Goodman, Mitchell Parish, Edgar Sampson) - 4:58
- "Honeysuckle Rose" (Razaf, Fats Waller) - 6:05
- "Slow Freight" (Bob Brookmeyer) - 5:47 Bonus track on CD reissue
- "The Sheik of Araby" (Harry B. Smith, Francis Wheeler) - 5:01 Bonus track on CD reissue
- Pacific Jazz Records Catalog: 1200 series accessed November 27, 2015
- Edwards, D., Eyries, P. & Callahan, M., World Pacific Album Discography, accessed November 27, 2015
- Yanow, Scott. Traditionalism Revisited – Review at AllMusic. Retrieved November 27, 2015.
- Cook, Richard; Morton, Brian (2008). The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings (9th ed.). Penguin. p. 173. ISBN 978-0-141-03401-0.
- Bowers, J., All About Jazz Review, October 1, 1998
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.