From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|"Open Your Box"|
|Single by Yoko Ono and The Plastic Ono Band|
|A-side||"Power to the People" (UK) (John Lennon)|
|Released||12 March 1971|
|Yoko Ono and The Plastic Ono Band singles chronology|
|"Open Your Box"|
2001 remix single cover
|Single by Yoko Ono|
|Recorded||February–March 1971, remixed 2001|
|Yoko Ono singles chronology|
In 1971, Ono's risqué lyrics were received in controversy ("box" is slang for vagina). She sings, "Open your box, open your trousers, open your sex, open your legs, open open open open open". The record was banned from radio in Britain, and was played on-air only when echo was added to blur the lyrics. Capitol Records, which distributed music by Apple Records in the United States, initially refused to issue the recording, and it was replaced as the B-side by another Ono track, "Touch Me".
"Open Your Box" eventually appeared in 1971 on Ono's Fly album, under the title "Hirake" ("ひらけ" means "opening" in Japanese.) It also appears as a bonus track on a compact disc reissue of Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band, however in a different version.
The Orange Factory remixed version was an underground hit and brought about renewed interest in Ono's career, inspiring her to create her album, Blueprint for a Sunrise, and further the remix project to much success. A compilation of these remixes entitled Open Your Box was released in April 2007.
- iTunes EP
- "Open Your Box" (The Club)
- "Open Your Box" (The Dub The Voice)
- "Open Your Box" (Radio Edit)
- Single Version (Censored) - 3:31 (as b-side of "Power to the People")
- Album Version (a.k.a. "Hirake") - 3:31
- Alternate Version - 7:35 (from Yoko Ono/Plastic Ono Band CD Reissue)
- Orange Factory Radio Edit (2001) - 4:37
- Orange Factory Club Mix (2001) - 9:59
- Orange Factory Dub (2001) - 9:59
- Orange Factory Club Mix Edit - 6:20 (from Open Your Box Compilation)
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||144|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||25|
- Guyer, Lauree. "Yoko Ono: Open Your Box ( The Remixes) - Glide Magazine". Glide Magazine. Glide Publishing LLC. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "Open Your Box – EP by Yoko Ono". iTunes Store US. Apple Inc. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Chart Log UK : 1994–2010 : The O – Ozric Tentacles". zobbel.de. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- "Yoko Ono - Charts & Awards - Billboard Singles". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
Text is available under the CC BY-SA 4.0 license; additional terms may apply.
Images, videos and audio are available under their respective licenses.